Origin of the name the six-penny

Bill

I was talking to my husband last night about how amazing it is that there were several ropewalks in Warrington 160 years ago. "Rope Walks! :shock:" he said, "in 1850?!" He honestly thought I meant this kind of thing:

Breckland-20120817-00291.jpg

(That's my eldest daughter!) And this after we went to the Maritime festival in Ipswich, this summer, which was held on Rope Walk, complete with Ropemaking demonstrations. :rolleyes:

May I roll out this old chestnut? Why aren't the Museum educating us about this sort of thing? The 'received wisdom' of Warringtonian history seems to be the Romans arrived at Wilderspool and then nothing happened til the Industrial Revolution. <whispers> They don't seem to be going a great job at promoting local history.

They should employ us lot.

Back in our pre-children days, me and my husband did a landscape history course at the UEA. We were encouraged to visit the Castle Museum in Norwich so we duly went along. We were horrified to find we were the only adults there without kids and were surrounded by screaming small people trying on helmets and riding Iceni chariots. We felt like utter planks walking around reading the Janet and John style information boards and didn't go back til we had kids ourselves.

Back in class, we had a discussion about children and Museums. A lot of archaeologists/historians seem to feel the balance has swung too far towards the children now. Museums should engage the young and be places they can explore and enjoy. My kids love Museums and history. But let's not forget Adults need educating too. Look at all the activity by local and family history groups, that level of interest just doesn't seem to be represented in Museums.

Warrington Museum's kids events aren't all that great anyway. They seem to be prescriptive craft activities with not that much actual historical education.

May I roll out this old chestnut? Why aren't the Museum educating us about this sort of thing? The 'received wisdom' of Warringtonian history seems to be the Romans arrived at Wilderspool and then nothing happened til the Industrial Revolution. <whispers> They don't seem to be going a great job at promoting local history.

They should employ us lot.

There is more traceable, interesting history of Warrington from the 17th, 18th and 19th Century than anything in the Roman period, and it has more meaning to the people of the town today. As you say Trace there are more facts discussed and revealed on this forum by us novices than the Museum Publicises.

There is more traceable, interesting history of Warrington from the 17th, 18th and 19th Century than anything in the Roman period, and it has more meaning to the people of the town today. As you say Trace there are more facts discussed and revealed on this forum by us novices than the Museum Publicises.

No 'traceable or interesting things about the Romans' around here Algy... :shock:

Admittedly there's not a lot of info online as works and finds seem to become somewhat secretive but then again if you walk around with your camera while they are doing it it's suprising what you can get pictures off.

A roman well

schoolromanwell.jpg

Roman cremation urns being carefully removed

2007_0606ImageArchaeology6Jun0150.jpg

more cremation urns before removing

2007_0623SchoolOpenDay0130.jpg

cross sections of the actual Roman Road

2007_0704Archaeology4July070131.jpg

I think these were 'post holes' but can't quite remember

2007_0615Archaeologyvarious20111.jpg

A roman kiln

2007_0623SchoolOpenDay0108.jpg

one of the many fragments of pottery found

2007_0623SchoolOpenDay0141.jpg

Gosh I could go on and one as I've got loads and everything was found pretty much just under the modern day surface (apart from the well).... and got dug up or forgotten about or probably just trashed when they were build on :cry: The well is safe though as that's under the new schools hall :wink: