Hospital Visiting Times

Coffee

What do people think off Warrington Hospital visiting times?

Mum recently was ill and over a 4 week period spent 22 days in hospital

Apart from weekends and days I worked at home I could not make the afternoon visits. The evening visits are only an hour long so if I were delayed at work or in traffic I could be arriving at the hospital just as the visiting time was ending.

A 2 to 3 afternoon visit and a 6.30 to 8 evening visit would be more practical. Some hospitals have all day visiting times.

You have my sympathy Coffee, I recently had my Dad in Wrexham and my Mum was in Wrightington Hospital all at the same time. It was complete hell,but Wolfie does have a point. You cannot have families turning up any time they feel, it would be unfair on the other patients and the staff would find it very hard administering care

Can't disagree there, my mum in at the moment and it is a pain getting to visit when I have to work like this week.for the afternoon visiting I have no chance as I am on the school tun and don't normally finish until after five. for the evening it is not too bad but does mean that if i want to eat i have to wait until visiting over as I have to cram everything else into the hour and a bit before visiting.

I am fortunate in that I only live across the road from the hospital so traveling time is what ever it takes for me to walk there which at present is about ten minutes as she is at the very back of the hospital, still it gives me plenty of exercise dry.gif

Some wards will make a special arrangement for out of normal visiting for those who for some reason or other cannot make the normal visiting times for instance shift workers.

Wolfie is correct and as is SID. If you have problems visiting and the patient is poorly and in for quite a while, it is usually possible to talk to the nurse in charge of the ward and come to some arrangement. But that could depend on how serious the patient's problem is. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.Ask!!

You have my sympathy Coffee, I recently had my Dad in Wrexham

Must be a nightmare, visiting one hospital is difficult enough.

All day visiting may be fine for the visitors, but it's a pain in the proverbials for the patients. How is any patient going to get the rest and peace and quiet they need when at any time of the day gangs of people with kids are invading every ward. :angry::unsure:

Not saying all day visiting is a good idea but the two and a half hours allowed in Warington Hospital is not flexible enough, especially with the afternoon and evening visiting being so close. If other hospitals can cope with all day visiting, I am sure Warrington could allow an extra 30 minutes or so in the evening and maybe move the afternoon time.

Maybe a staggered system would work were different wards have different visiting times in the afternoon, this would ease the parking problem a little.

Wolfie is correct and as is SID. If you have problems visiting and the patient is poorly and in for quite a while, it is usually possible to talk to the nurse in charge of the ward and come to some arrangement. But that could depend on how serious the patient's problem is. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.Ask!!

If I arrived really late, most of the time I would be allowed to stay 20 or 30 minutes past visiting hours, but that still mean rushing, asking and feeling your in the way

As has been said by others, it is usually possible to come to some arrangement with the ward staff, always allowing for letting them do their jobs.

On the occasions I have been "incarcerated" in various wards, my family have been allowed in when they could get there, as long as they didn't disturb other patients.