Volunteer work for pensioners

Evil Sid

It seems that one our peers Lord Richard has come up with a solution to help with the rising pension costs.

Retired people should be encouraged to do community work such as caring for the "very old" or face losing some of their pension, a peer has suggested.

That pensioners have already worked for the best part of forty or fifty years is neither here nor there. This is from a committee that is looking into "demographic changes" another quote from the report is this.

"We are now prepared to say to people who are not looking for work, if you don't look for work you don't get benefits, so if you are old and you are not contributing in some way or another maybe there is some penalty attached to that."

Another member of the committee is quoted as saying that he cannot understand why the younger generation are not angry about having to subsidise the older generation

So perhaps they would all like to step down from their highly paid jobs,forfeit their pensions and volunteer to do street cleaning four days a week.

One thought that does cross my mind is this. if all the pensioners did decide to do voluntary work and took over all the jobs that they did before they retired what would happen to the youngsters that now do those jobs. they would be out of work for one so unemployment would rise, firms would be making even greater profits than they are now as they would not need to pay the workers they are employing because they are working for their pension. less tax would be paid and the government would be worse off than it was before. or have they considered that?

the next idea will be let everybody work until they are 60 then retire on a massive pension then at 70 kill them off problem solved. Only joking i think :shock:

I'm sure that last thought has crossed someone's mind Sid ! These comments do smack of a government in desperation who would willingly work people to death if it helped to balance the books.When i was working the NI contributions were paid to fund me in later life & partly to fund pensioners who had already retired & also to pay for healthcare , but this shower are truly ruthless.

I am sure all the ills of this country could be solved at the stroke of a pen if we pulled out of Europe & saved all the money that is going down that particular plughole !

This makes me angry. A huge proportion of the people doing voluntary work, including having set up and run various projects over many years, are older people. A number of the older generation have always felt it their duty to put something back into their communities in this way and in some cases did it at the same time as holding down full time jobs. The running of 'meals on wheels', hospital visiting groups, drivers of minibuses enabling people access to social interaction or appointments have all been reliant, for the most part, on the older generation. It is only those who don't live in a normal community, because of the privilege of money, who seem to think that all older folk are stopping at home doing nothing while being paid a state pension which enables them to live in luxury!!!!!!

As most of us know, this isn't the case and someone should make sure this message gets to the right people. :angry: :angry:

• Upvote 1

These "politicians" don't even have to stand for election, just turn up at the House of Geriatrics for a kip, and come out with this kind of tripe. It merely demonstrates just how detached from the rest of us, the political class have become. Come the revolution we'll have them out sweeping the streets! :wink:

But there is something acutely dispicable about anyone who believes that pensioners who have have paid their dues all their working lives should then be expeected to do voluntary work in return for their state pension.

The UK would be the laughing stock of the world if that idea was to be passed to law.

I may have a word with our friend Mohamed Morsi (note the name dropping :wink:) and ask if Egypt could send financial aid to the UK. :D