Want to become a Citizen?

observer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can't be citizens how come we have 'citizen cards' (which are endorsed by the government) and we also have the 'citizens advice bureau'? :unsure:

And the UK Border Agency says

"If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983, you are almost certainly a British citizen. The only exception is if you were born to certain diplomatic staff of foreign missions who had diplomatic immunity.

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you are a British citizen if at the time of your birth one of your parents was:

a British citizen; or legally settled in the UK."

and

"If you have a British passport issued on or after 1 January 1983, it will say whether you are a British citizen"

Am I missing something here Obs.....is this another of your odd topics where we have to search for some odd news story instead :oops::lol:

If they had asked for the last verse of God save the Queen, we would all have been non citizens :rolleyes:

last verse??? you mean there is one..... I thought it went "dah dah dah dah de dah...dah dah dah dah de dah.... dah dah dah dah.... dah dah didy dah dah dah dah de dah.... etc...." :D

last verse??? you mean there is one..... I thought it went "dah dah dah dah de dah...dah dah dah dah de dah.... dah dah dah dah.... dah dah didy dah dah dah dah de dah.... etc...." :D

Is that the Connolly version to the tune of the Archers?

From every latent foe,

From the assassins blow,

God save the Queen!

O'er her thine arm extend,

For Britain's sake defend,

Our mother, prince, and friend,

God save the Queen!

Not many, if any (other than myself), british citizens know the last verse. Indeed I don't think many know there is more than the first verse so how the hell could they expect any immigrant to know it?

I was thinking more of the infamous sixth verse;

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King.

added around 1746.

By the way, Encyclopedia Britannica states that there are only three verses!

By the way, Encyclopedia Britannica states that there are only three verses!

And the official Royal websites says there are only two ........

"The words of the National Anthem are as follows:

God save our gracious Queen!

Long live our noble Queen!

God save the Queen!

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us,

God save the Queen.

Thy choicest gifts in store

On her be pleased to pour,

Long may she reign.

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause,

To sing with heart and voice,

God save the Queen."

Have all the other 4 verses been dropped and made redundant then ? :unsure:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/NationalAnthem.aspx

All very confusing but not to worry as it's only the first verse that the foreigners need to know as that's the one that gets sung on official occasions.

God Save the Queen

God save our gracious Queen,

Long live our noble Queen,

God save the Queen!

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us,

God save the Queen!

O lord God arise,

Scatter our enemies,

And make them fall!

Confound their knavish tricks,

Confuse their politics,

On you our hopes we fix,

God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,

But be God's mercies known,

From shore to shore!

Lord make the nations see,

That men should brothers be,

And form one family,

The wide world ov'er

From every latent foe,

From the assasins blow,

God save the Queen!

O'er her thine arm extend,

For Britain's sake defend,

Our mother, prince, and friend,

God save the Queen!

Thy choicest gifts in store,

On her be pleased to pour,

Long may she reign!

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause,

To sing with heart and voice,

God save the Queen!

:unsure: Only 5 verses in this version. Whatever! :blink::lol:

I think they shortened it to try to stop the people dashing out of the cinemas before the national anthem was played at the end of every screening. :wink::lol::lol::lol:

So how does this "test" impact on immigration? Illegal Afghani arrives under a truck, gets caught and is sent to a detention centre. HR Lawyers swoop in and start proceedings for assylum on account of his/her mortal danger from IEDs back home. After £thousands of tax payer's money has been consumed in legal aid, let's assume the Afghani wins the appeal and is given leave to stay. Then s/he decides to become a British citizen and takes this test, but fails - so what happens? Perhaps it would be easier to just start a family with an existing UK citizen and thus win the right to a family life and permanent residence in the UK; or just have a scam marriage to a Pole? :angry:

So how does this "test" impact on immigration? Illegal Afghani arrives under a truck, gets caught and is sent to a detention centre. HR Lawyers swoop in and start proceedings for assylum on account of his/her mortal danger from IEDs back home. After £thousands of tax payer's money has been consumed in legal aid, let's assume the Afghani wins the appeal and is given leave to stay. Then s/he decides to become a British citizen and takes this test, but fails - so what happens? Perhaps it would be easier to just start a family with an existing UK citizen and thus win the right to a family life and permanent residence in the UK; or just have a scam marriage to a Pole? :angry:

Or just buy a cat.

And if the Queen dies, allowed to stay for another month while they learn the new words. :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:

I may have read it wrong but it seems to me they wants to replace the bits regarding 'how to claim benefits' and also 'HR Laws and rights' with history and the national anthem.

First thought was that it sounds like a good idea as why should we ensure they know about claiming from our benefit system or how to push their human rights rights.... but then again they probably already all have the equivalent of a masters degrees in that before they set foot over here :evil::wink: