Children & Schools.

algy

Many of these photograph’s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

c1880. Boys being taught shoe making skills at Padgate Cottage Homes.

1880slateBoysbeingtaughtshoemakingskillsatPadgateCottageHomes.jpg

c1880. Padgate Cottage Homes also known as the Padgate Industrial School.

1880slatePadgateCottageHomesalsoknownastheIndustrialSchool.jpg

c1900. Children of working class parents, Warrington.

1900sChildrenofWorkingClassParentsWarrington.jpg

c1900. Four young scallywags playing in a back street behind Winwick Road, the little girl is wearing her clogs, possibly supplied by Gandy's in Rose & crown Street.

1900sFouryoungscallywagsplayinginabackstbehindWinwickRoad.jpg

c1900. Youngsters playing with the farmyard pump at Manor Farm Westy Lane Latchford

1900sYoungstersplayingwiththefarmyardpumpManorFarmWestyLanelatchford001.jpg

c1900. Children sharpening pencils on a kerb stone.

1900schildrenSharpeningpencils.jpg

1919. St Thomas's C of E School class.

StThomass1919.jpg

St Thomas's C of E School class.

StThomassSchoolclass.jpg

1902. Children playing in a 'trap' on Church Street, if they all move to the back of it there would be a heck of a 'bump'.

WarringtonchildrenplayinginoldChurchStreet1902.jpg

1902. Dallam lane, a couple of young lads wrestling, no doubt the winner walks away with the hand of the young lady!.

WarringtonurchinswrestlinginDallamLane1902.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first photo of pupils at St Thomas' was shown on here some time ago. The teacher at the back is Miss Charles, who had quite a reputation for discipline (that's putting it mildly). She was still there when I started there in 1960, teaching 11 year olds. Fortunately by the time I got to the top class she had retired.

The first photo of pupils at St Thomas' was shown on here some time ago. The teacher at the back is Miss Charles, who had quite a reputation for discipline (that's putting it mildly). She was still there when I started there in 1960, teaching 11 year olds. Fortunately by the time I got to the top class she had retired.

TS, I attended the school in 1950 and the little 'bully' taught me or rather ordered us about, as the old saying goes "little and nasty" and in Miss Charles's case there were never truer words. 'Teddy' Reddish was our headmaster and he was totally different a kind understanding man, Joe Brookhouse was another teacher there in my short time at St. Thomas's.

In the first photo, I believe that the lady teacher is Miss Charles as my father in law is the lad with his arms folded and immediately in front of her, and always maintained that it was her.

One looks at that picture and wonders why she became a teacher. She does not look in the least bit happy in her work. Indeed she looks a postive evil bitch and I sure am glad that it did not befall me to be one of her pupils. However, at my school there was a teacher who might well have been her 'more kindly' sister and, heaven knows, even she was a right bitch of a woman. Did those somewhat sadistic teachers not know, or care, how they scared the living daylights out of their pupils. The bitch at the school I attended caused one girl to have a nervous breakdown and as a result her parents took her out of the school permanently.