• Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • UKIP
    • Not voting
  2. 2. Will you be voting the same as last year

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't vote

That's the the thing with democracy Baz you can vote for whoever you want, but if who you wanted does not get in, you moan and say how undemocratic it is, and how you hold the majority view. Sorry to disappoint you but you don't or you wouldn't be spending time on here moaning :wink: .

If yu are going to vote for one of those parties I think you might be spending even more time on here moaning about how undemocratic we are :wink:

I have never siad our system is undemocratic (that was your liberal mates)

I voted Tory at the last election and ended up with Clegg.... which I didn't and would never have voted for if my testicles were in a vice with him turning the lever_ :)

Cameron is ballsing things up big time, Labour did for 13 years and the liberals will never win another seat after the next election so it will then become a two party system. All we can hope for is a Marine le Penn type character to save the country. But I wouldn't put my coat on it!

I do have a problem with EU democracy and accountability....there isn't any. Every election is rigged, when countries vote against things they are sent back to try again. their accounts are never straight and they are all run by massively massively over paid and un elected nobodies...

Don't talk to me about democracy!

:) Do you actually think that changing from one set of Liberal fiendly Officers to a Labour friendly set of officers will make the slightest difference on voting intentions? Turn-out will be low, as frankly local Government is basically irrelevent to most folk, being under-funded and capped by Westminister, who in turn are under the thumb of Brussels; there's not even wriggle room for any locally independent initiative for local folk to even debate. :roll: :roll:

Yes Obs I think that changing from "Liberal friendly Officers to a Labour friendly set of officers" WILL make a difference to voting intentions. Public confidence in local politicians is at an all time low - most notably due to the retention of incompetent and unpopular council officers - under whose guidance they have proceeded with some extremely disagreeable projects. When people vote for change they want change. If the officers remain the same - what change will there be? So I do believe that an announcement of the departure of 'certain' officers would affect voting intentions.

Should those officers not depart then it could be construed that there will be no real change whosoever one votes for - thus this will affect voting intentions and people will just not bother to vote.

You say "local Government is basically irrelevant to most folk" - only in the same way as central govt is, when all parties seem to have the same agenda people wonder 'what's the point in voting?'

Turnout is always higher when there are specific issues and opposing political views.

You say; "there's not even wriggle room for any locally independent initiative for local folk to even debate."

Local politicians DO have the power to decide on many issues. You don't think they have enough power, I would disagree - because the b***s-up they make with what power they have I certainly wouldn't like them to have any more!

Do you think central govt was behind the Walton Hall & Gardens sell off? or the Sankey Valley / Gullivers world proposal etc etc? They were certainly initiated locally!

And thankfully because we are, as you would term it "under the thumb of Brussels" our local LibCon councillors were unable to proceed with either of the above two projects!

I'd suggest that it's the politicians who will require sycophantic officers around them, the ordinary Joe couldn't care less, which suggests the gulf between the anoracks and the public.. And your inference that politically reliable officers are a requirement, merely reinforces the view that we have an officer led Council anyway. As for the Walton Hall scenario, without going into the rights and wrongs, presumably it was a decision, and that's what politicians are supposed to do - make decisions. You then reinforce my arguement by suggesting that that "local" decision was scotched by Brussels! :wink:

I have never missed a vote since I was among the first 18 year olds to get the opportunity. I've not always voted for the successful candidate, but bow to the majority vote. It would really annoy me, though, if the one I voted for lost when the turnout was 17%.