Police Cars.....

Bazj

A while back, I touched on a subject in passing; that really gets my goat and that is the subject of Police cars and why we have so many and why they change them so often....

If you take the average Motorway Patrol Vehicle (X5, Range Rover etc....) they are never more than 3 years old and worth in excess of £30,000 each. Couple that with all the panda cars, forensic vans, riot vans etc etc. and you can see that we spend a shed load of cash on replacing cars that would be perfectly OK for many more years of service and would save the taxpayer millions in the bargain.

Just now on EBay, there is an auction for a 1994 German "Politzei" Ford Granada Estate. It has covered the equivilant of 133,000 miles and was only withdrawn from service in 2010.... Now that is a better deal for the taxpayer and maybe one we can learn from over here perhaps?

After complaints from the Liberal Democrats (Lib Dems) that UK police forces are spending too much money on leasing vehicles. A Freedom of Information Act request carried by the party revealed that British police forces spent over £132 million on vehicle leasing and hire between 2004 and 2009, equivalent to around £70,000 a day. In 2008-09, forces reported spending £24.6 million in total.

British police forces have responded to the criticisms by claiming that they have bought, rather than leased, most of the 38,000 police cars in operation.

As an ex police officer, - although I have some sympathy with the thread - it's worth pointing out that most police cars are on the road 24 hours a day with many different drivers.

Reliability is the watchword. The first duty of the police is the preservation of life. There can be no compromise with that.

Happy days

Just now on EBay, there is an auction for a 1994 German "Politzei" Ford Granada Estate. It has covered the equivilant of 133,000 miles and was only withdrawn from service in 2010....

Have you put a bid on it Baz? I can just imagine you wizzing aroung in an old refurbed police car with it's sirens sounding and a menacing look on your face :lol::wink:

Can't see many people wanting to buy such an old car with 133k on it though even if it does have a full service history.

I do get your point though but most companies lease their vehicles and equipment these days so why should the police be any different ?

Saying that... what do know as I've never actually (so far) leased anything or worked out the overall cost benefits or whether in the long term it works out to be more cost prohibitive.

Blimey you could have just saved me £20k there Baz without actually trying :shock:8)