Rabbit?

observer

Tried a rabbit from the butcher - bit too many bones though. But the interesting thing was, I asked the butcher where he got the rabbits from, and he said from China (supposedly the best are from China); which made me wonder, why we can't produce our own rabbits on rabbit farms? Then, talking to someone else; he told me there was a "rabbit farm" in S/Warrington, but it got vandalised by the Animal Rights nutters - seems we can't win! :unsure:

Tried a rabbit from the butcher - bit too many bones though. But the interesting thing was, I asked the butcher where he got the rabbits from, and he said from China (supposedly the best are from China); which made me wonder, why we can't produce our own rabbits on rabbit farms? Then, talking to someone else; he told me there was a "rabbit farm" in S/Warrington, but it got vandalised by the Animal Rights nutters - seems we can't win! :unsure:

Obs,

If its the Rabbit farm I`m thinking of, I believe it was vandalised by animal rights activists because it bred Rabbits for testing and experimental purposes.

Ian

O.K. thanx for the info - so it might have been worth them breeding for eating instead?! Can't really understand why they import the bunnys from China? :unsure:

I cannot remember the name of it now, but there was a rabbit farm on Warrington Road near Thelwall Viaduct on the way to Lymm. It was quite a few years ago, but I thought they bred rabbits for their white fur, and it closed because the market collapsed when people went against buying coats made of "real" fur. However, the countryside is well populated with wild rabbits that are suitable for eating, but no-one hunts them nowadays like they did many years ago (few folk are allowed to hunt with guns anymore....thankfully) So, if you want to try eating rabbit (they can be delicuous if braised in a stew) then you have to buy one that's been bred for that purpose, and those are likely to be imported, at a price!

I cannot remember the name of it now, but there was a rabbit farm on Warrington Road near Thelwall Viaduct on the way to Lymm. It was quite a few years ago, but I thought they bred rabbits for their white fur, and it closed because the market collapsed when people went against buying coats made of "real" fur. However, the countryside is well populated with wild rabbits that are suitable for eating, but no-one hunts them nowadays like they did many years ago (few folk are allowed to hunt with guns anymore....thankfully) So, if you want to try eating rabbit (they can be delicuous if braised in a stew) then you have to buy one that's been bred for that purpose, and those are likely to be imported, at a price!

See post 2.

obs, go snare your own.

• 6 months later...

Long long time ago I used to like a rabbit stew momma made. These days I cannot bear thinking about eating rabbit and find it repulsive. The butchers here have cages of rabbits stacked up by their shops and, when I see them, the thoughts of eating them sickens me because they are the type of rabbits kept as pets in the uk. :cry::(:cry:

• 2 weeks later...