spammers

Bazj

PS Captcha will never stop real people spamming though Baz :wink:

No,

but just looking at the user names of those yesterday would tell you they are not real posters(or that they were potentially not anyway)and I would also imagine they have equally ridiculous email addresses. The whois search or service provider search would also help. All these checks take seconds when approving a new user!.... two and two together and all that would indicate a potential issue.

Maybe not Gary, but at least there are moderators who do their job properly here, unlike another forum I could mention ..... :rolleyes:

Thanks Silverlady - as Dizzy says we always just try and do our best and don't switch off and go home at 5pm unlike some organisations!:roll:

Technically speaking when you posted that Baz there was not one in the Nat Gen section as I deleted it at 8.15 am :P:lol:

You can't expect Gary to sit there all day approving new people apart from which it would cause unnecessary delays for genuine people registering and validating themselves.

Technically speaking when you posted that Baz there was not one in the Nat Gen section as I deleted it at 8.15 am :P:lol:

You can't expect Gary to sit there all day approving new people apart from which it would cause unnecessary delays for genuine people registering and validating themselves.

Dizzy...

the majority of forums now require administrator approval for new members. (I even have that on my Corsair forum)

I am doing research on both my grandads roles in WW1 and have joined about 9 forums since Christmas day and for every one I had to wait until my application was approved

Problem is Gary is the only Admin.. us mods can't do it cos we can only flag and block the human spammers who do manually validate and become live members as well as deleting the odd post they may make. The rest don't validate so can't do anything anyway and Gary deletes them too when he deletes our flagged ones.

What you say does make a lot of sense though and it would reduce the amount of time we spend watching for them at the moment but on the other hand it could also increase Admins work greatly as they presumably would have to check every single person/autobody trying to register including all those who would never validate anyway.

I don't know how the process works on this new forum so I could be talking nonsense and maybe it is really simple to do but in reality it's no big problem doing this way and they don't live for very long or cause any real problems :blink:

How do you have the time to be a member of 11 forums though Baz... you must have a very short working day or long holidays. Are you a teacher :lol::P

Correction and appology....

Baz I said earlier that "technically speaking the spam post wasn't there when you typed as I'd removed it"

It has just occurred to me that I didn't remove that one (gary must have zapped it) as the one I deleted at 8.15am wasn't foreign... so technically you were probably right :lol: