Going for a song

DS

I am shortly to deposit on a local refuse tip, a Grundig TK5 portable reel-to-reel tape recorder which, although more than 50 years old, is still in working order. I also have a couple of tapes which could be wiped and used again. If anyone would like this once iconic machine, free of charge, or knows anyone with an interest in vintage audio equipment who might like it, please respond. Otherwise I will be off to the tip in the New Year!

I had no idea what one was so just googled (as I'm not that old yet :wink: )

No I know all I'll say is...

Aww David you can't throw it on the tip if it still works :( You'd be better giving it to a charity shop and saying it works...or like already said, trying ebay although there seem to have be quite a lot of similar things on there.

How do you record on it and could you plug a guitar into it and record ? Ha ha I could buy it off you and give it to my 17 year old son for xmas to show him how things used to be done :wink::lol::lol:

I had no idea what one was so just googled (as I'm not that old yet :wink: )

No I know all I'll say is...

Aww David you can't throw it on the tip if it still works :( You'd be better giving it to a charity shop and saying it works...or like already said, trying ebay although there seem to have be quite a lot of similar things on there.

How do you record on it and could you plug a guitar into it and record ? Ha ha I could buy it off you and give it to my 17 year old son for xmas to show him how things used to be done :wink::lol::lol:

You stick a mike lead in the hole AND PRESS RECORD. :roll: :roll:

PS. Probably need a jackplug on the end of the lead. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

OK - it looks like its for the tip then! Can't be bothered with ebay. Delivery costs would be high as it weighs like it was made of brick.

Thanks for all the advice. In fact, I have lost the original mike. But it did not use a jack plug - something called a five pin DIN plug, if I recall correctly. The built in speakers are not up to much, but connected to a decent speaker it's sound quality compared favourably with a lot of more modern machines. Grundig was considered very upmarket in those days, although it seems they have gone downmarket in more recent times.

Anyway, I'll be off to the tip in a day or two!

You can buy five pin DIN plugs at Maplin DS. Infact our really good mikes use those but now we don't have our PA system we have to use an adaptor (why am I telling you..I have no idea, sorry :lol: )

BUT saying that I'm not cutting one off you or giving you one of out mikes :P

Cleo... If you're not careful DS might post it to you with a first class stamp on it :lol:

Ringo Dave, welcome to the forum I'm sure you will enjoy it on here although everyone else is weird, there's only me who's sensible, at least that's what my carer says :wink::lol: :lol:

Many thanks, Algy. I've been on "the other one" for a few years now and finally got round to moving up in the world! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ringo Dave

Sorry I have not responded before. If you are really serious about picking up the recorder, it is now at the WWW office, at the New Media Centre, Old Road, Warrington. Office hours 9am-5pm. There are also a couple of tapes to go with it. They have been used but, of course, can be wiped clean, if you are prepared to destroy a 50-year-old recording of me playing "When the Saints Go Marching in" on guitar!

Otherwise, it will be going to the tip.

If you find a way of digitally recording and uploading DS's 50 year old rendition of 'When the Saints...' to youtube I'm sure we would all really enjoy hearing it on here. Maybe they could also play it on the Warrington Radio station. :D

Eeek maybe he wont let you have it now I've suggested said that <_<:lol:

Ringo Dave.

By all means call in on Monday. I won't be there - having a day off. But I will leave word with others to let you take it away.

As for my recording of "The Saints" - I have already made a digital copy of it, not because of either the musical or sound quality, but simply because it is the only record I have of my early musical career!

The sound quality is atrocious. It is, in fact, a duet between me and myself, using two tape recorders.

I got rather better on guitar in later years, prior to giving up the instrument altogether, but have no recordings to prove it!