This may be difficult?

algy

That was in Warrington area somewhere ? Gosh I've never seen it before.

There used to be a large Hall up at Appleton but I don't think it's that.. worth a guess though.

Dizz, not Appleton, This was not a well known Hall unless you lived in the Grappenhall, Thelwall area, the problem is although I still have a large amount of photos most are not really suitable for a quizz as like these two they are not generally well known unless you are local to the specific area, so I am really scraping the barrel, I will leave this one on for a while and see how it goes, in the mean time I'll se what else is suitable.

To give a clue - "this place looked as if the owners ate a lot of sea food".

Ey up .... we would all have come if you had said :lol:

Well done again Graps :D

Where was that house though and what road was it on... when and why was it knocked down (I presume it has been( ?

I like your more 'unknown' photo's Algy as even though they are harder to guess they are just as good to see :D:D

Ey up .... we would all have come if you had said :lol:

Well done again Graps :D

Where was that house though and what road was it on... when and why was it knocked down (I presume it has been( ?

I like your more 'unknown' photo's Algy as even though they are harder to guess they are just as good to see :D:D

Along the A50 through the lights at the Springbrook 500mtrs turn left into Cliff lane under the canal bridge, turn sharp left into Weaste lane and the Hall was where the semis are built on a bank on the right hand side, at the last semi turn right into Cuerdon Drive and that is where it was , the lodge is still there on the left as you turn in. I haven't time now but i will tell you of a ghostly incident that took place when we lived in one of those houses. TOMORROW.

Why did they knock it down?

Probably the town councillors saw it and thought...."wow a lovely old building"..... "Let's knock it down and buikld some crap there like we always do and always will....because we have no interest in the heritage of the town"

• Upvote 1

NO !!! .. OR I WILL BAN YOU !!

....and it will take Gary and Peter ages to realise and un-ban you. They will just think you have gone on holiday or on a trip down the Nile and that Obs has swallowed you as he had his drink :P:lol:

LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

Are you sure you don't want to read them Dizzy? I lived for a few years in a "haunted" house and have some corkers to tell. Make your hair stand on end! :lol:

Why did they knock it down?

Peter, without trawling through records in the Library, I honestly can't tell you, although it was an imposing building there is not much known about it, the Naylor family were relatively private though they did a lot of good in the town, possibly inheritance tax may have been a problem or perhaps it fell into disrepair I don't know. When I have time I shall try the library and if I find out I shall enter it on here.

Don't you dare Algy .... ghost stories scare me :unsure::oops:

Dizz, In the 1980's we moved into one of the semis at the bottom of Weaste Lane, this experience happened not long after moving into the house, one night just before Christmas when we were all in our beds asleep I was disturbed by my daughter calling me from her bedroom, I got up and went to see if she was all right, when I went into her bedroom the light was on and she was sitting up and visibly shaken, she said that she had been woken up by the sound of children talking quietly and had sat up and turned the light on where she saw two children, a boy and a girl giggling and pointing at her, they were both dressed in plain victorian clothes, as she reached out to touch them they both slowly faded away leaving a strange but sweet aroma in the bedroom, to this day she swears that it wasn't a dream. The next day I told a neighbour who lived in Cuerdon Drive and whose garden backed on to ours about the incident, she replied that all our houses had been built on the site of Cuerdon Hall, the Hall had been built by the Naylor family, well known and respected timber merchants who had a timber mill at Lower Walton, the family were very sociable and each Christmas invited the poorer children of Warrington to a party held at the hall, and it was said that the ghosts of those children who never reached maturity returned to a happy place that they had enjoyed visiting in their early lives, our daughter saw them only the once and we never experienced a visit from them again.

Dizz, this is absolutely true and I have told it exactly as it happened!. Happy Halloween!.

By the way, don,t you live across the canal from what used to be Naylor's Timber Yard. :wink:

Oooh creepy but nice in an odd way. :unsure: I'm glad you didn't post that last night though as I wouldn't have slept. I'm braver in the daylight :oops:

I used to talk to the 'nice old lady' who sat at the bottom of my bed when I was very young. My mum and dad would hear me chatting away and I always said I had been talking to the 'old lady' again. They said it was never a little kid make believe chat but was like I was having a real conversation with an older person.

Mum always wondered if it was my grandma as she had lived with us but she sadly died when I was about 1 year old. I could have just been an odd child though.

When I was a lot older though and shared a bedroom with my sister I was woken one night by the feeling that someone had hold of my ankles and was trying with all their might to pull me out of the bottom of my bed towards the open door but I couldn't see anyone. It was the most scary experience I have ever had in my life and try as I might I couldn't shout out or scream. It wasn't my sister as she was fast asleep but because I was gripping the bed I couldn't reach behind to her bed and wack her to wake her up to 'save' me.

Maybe it was just a vivid dream and I was semi concious rather than wide awake like I thought, I have no idea, but to this day some 30+ years on I always have to have my feet covered in bed as the awful memory is still there.

Cleo.... if you are going to tell me any can you do it while it is still light please and not tonight :cry:

Oooh creepy but nice in an odd way. :unsure: I'm glad you didn't post that last night though as I wouldn't have slept. I'm braver in the daylight :oops:

I used to talk to the 'nice old lady' who sat at the bottom of my bed when I was very young. My mum and dad would hear me chatting away and I always said I had been talking to the 'old lady' again. They said it was never a little kid make believe chat but was like I was having a real conversation with an older person.

Mum always wondered if it was my grandma as she had lived with us but she sadly died when I was about 1 year old. I could have just been an odd child though.

When I was a lot older though and shared a bedroom with my sister I was woken one night by the feeling that someone had hold of my ankles and was trying with all their might to pull me out of the bottom of my bed towards the open door but I couldn't see anyone. It was the most scary experience I have ever had in my life and try as I might I couldn't shout out or scream. It wasn't my sister as she was fast asleep but because I was gripping the bed I couldn't reach behind to her bed and wack her to wake her up to 'save' me.

Maybe it was just a vivid dream and I was semi concious rather than wide awake like I thought, I have no idea, but to this day some 30+ years on I always have to have my feet covered in bed as the awful memory is still there.

Cleo.... if you are going to tell me any can you do it while it is still light please and not tonight :cry:

Dizz, whether these experiences are a figment of our conscious or subconscious imagination it does not matter and they leave a lasting impression in our lives.

Cuerdon Hall was demolished in 1950's and seemingly had fallen into disrepair.

I lived in my Grandmothers house from being born to the age of 9 years in Reynolds Street Latchford Nr Bolton Council Scool which was Haunted by an old man who I spoke to very often..When I asked my Grandmother who he was She said he was my Grandad who had died many years ago .she told me never to be frightend of ghosts as they can't hurt you !

My mum said her mum (my grandma) had always said that Arty. She used to say "It's the living you should be afraid of not the dead as 'dead' people and ghosts can't hurt you." According to all the horror films they can though :shock:

A funny story about my Grandma though. She used to live over near the large grave yard on Manchester road. She liked nothing better than to stroll round reading all the inscriptions but one day she got a bit carried away and it had got dark and when she went to leave the huge gates were locked.

She was only a little lady and couldn't climb out so she stood near the wall and railings and bellowed at some passers by.... 'Coooo-eee, OY.... help....can you get me out'. They ran off :oops::lol:

Maybe we should have started a seperate topic for all these ghostly tales as it is Halloween smiley-shocked003.gif

My man was away on business in Croydon. He had called me by phone in the late afternoon to tell me he had almost finished and would be home sometime in the afternoon the next day.

I was home with our two young boys, Mohamed and Saad, who were fast asleep when I looked in on them before going to bed.

I lay in bed reading for a while before switching off the lamp and settling down to sleep. Just a few minutes later I felt the bed covers being lifted up and someone getting into bed behind me. Thinking it was my husband I said with a laugh, "Oh you bugger, you told me you wouldn't be home till tomorrow afternoon."

The reply was just a grunt. Then I felt a hand stroke up and down my side then reach round and touch me on my breast. I reached to hold the hand and found nothing there so I turned over and there was nobody there in bed with me.

With a scream, I shot out of the bed and switched on the light. NOBODY IN THE ROOM BUT MYSELF.

The bedroom door opened, making me jump, and Mohamed put his head around the door asking. "What's wrong momma? Has that little girl who was playing with me and Saad

come in here?"