Coal Fire.

Peter T

A couple of years ago, it became too much for my Mother to light the fire, so they bunged the chimney up with loft insulation and bought an electric fire Today we removed that insulation, had the chimney swept and now have a fire burning merrily away. It's fantastic. I had forgotten just how much heat a proper coal fire could throw out.

Dizzy, Picked the first sprouts today.

Sprouts, carrots, potatoes all home grown plus cauli and rump steak. Delicious. :D:P

Ahhh to have a real fire. I remember having one in my bedroom when I was a kiddie although I'm sure my parents put it out before I went to bed :shock:

My neighbours and quite a few others have open fires around here and many have log burners too .... the smell is lovely and really cosy.

We'd have to have an indoor hosepipe and a fire extinguisher though as I don't think I tcould trust my two with one and the dog would probably throw balls in it anyway :lol:

We haven't even got a gas fire as our chimneys are bricked up and the gas pipes don;t reach there anyway so we certainly lack that 'snuggle up winter ' feeling :(

I have a log burner. It makes the living room a lot warmer than the central heating ever could.

I was the same where it used to be an open fire but had been filled in. I ripped it all out and put the burner in 2 years ago now.

The smell is nice and it gives you something else to watch instead of the T.V.

It can be a lot cheaper than central heating depending on how you source your wood. :D

One thing about coal fires in the old days, you could burn a lot of your rubbish instead of binning it to go to the tip. Paper, wood, plastic even glass bottles filled with coal dust, cinders from the the previous days fire, old worn out shoes, vegetable peelings etc., etc.,. All went to backing up the fire and keeping the room cosily warm. When the bins were emptied each week it was mainly ash that went to the landfill.

There were no fumes, they all went up the chimney with the smoke.

Easy Dizzy, you just filled a bottle with coal dust and put it on the fire. :lol:

As long as you didn't put a cork in the bottle, which would cause it to explode from the expanded hot air inside, you could burn glass bottles. The air escaped from the opening and the glass melted as it got hot (giving off heat). Filling it with coal dust the melted glass bonded the dust into a block which burned for some time. Understand now Dizzy? :D

No the proper stuff. And logs.

Hi Peter.

If the open fire you talk about is in Warrington just be a little careful as Warrington is a smokeless zone.

I am in no way trying to antagonise you just giving you a heads up.

In open fires you are only meant to burn smokeless fuels. You can get smokeless wood burners so you can then put logs and coal into those.

Councils are fining people £1000 for breaches of smoke controlled regulations. I don't know any one in Warrington who has been fined but I know off people in other towns in the North West.

My partner had a knock on my door by someone who said he represented the council in January. They said they received a tip off about my chimney smoking. (I know who tipped them off but that is a separate issue) My partner invited them in and shown them my stove which was lit at the time. It was on there list of approved appliances so there was no further action. :mrgreen:

The way the councils are trying to save money at the minute I have no doubt they will see home owners with smoking chimneys as easy prey for an easy £1000. :evil:

We can still see your smoke signals though Peter.

Last one read "Help my pickled veg are stuck in some jam near the swingers bridge because of the Vikings and I can't find the pub becasue of the smoke from people burning carrier bags and Oiks and St Paul is not very happy " :P

We can still see your smoke signals though Peter.

Last one read "Help my pickled veg are stuck in some jam near the swingers bridge because of the Vikings and I can't find the pub becasue of the smoke from people burning carrier bags and Oiks and St Paul is not very happy " :P

:D :grin: :D :grin:

Yes but we can still see the images on Algy's photo's so it can't have been that bad :wink:

I'm joking of course as I've heard about Warrington's smog from my dad and others but they survived it though, as I guess we must have too as it wasn't smokeless when I was a kid. When did those rules come in by the way?

He also remembers the smells fo the tanneries and bone works etc. Yeuch, but then again maybe it was just a bad smell and a little better than breathing in the car fumes and fumes from man made products etc that we have now such as deodorants and cleaning agents.

Maybe smells and a few germs were more healthy after all :wink:

Sure Algy can find some old photos of the Town, when it wasn't a smokeless zone - mind you, you wouldn't be able to see much! :D

Found three with evidence of smoke, I wouldn't imagine photographers of the day would take scenes with excessive smoke in them!

If you look at the skyline (well you would if you were looking for smoke, wouldn't you) there's plenty of smoke drifting across Latchford.

1928WarringtonBridgephotographedfromtheAcademy.jpg

Factory chimney smoking over Howley.

1906theVictoriaBridge.jpg

Another at the back of Bishop's Wharf.

BishopsWharfwithacoupleofwidebargessteamermooredup.jpg