Running on air!

observer

Tend to run down to between quarter and half then top up when we do our weekly shopping, I don't no how true this is, they always used to say that running with the tank on almost empty then chucking a couple of gallons in is a sure way of corroding the inside of your petrol tank as condensation is always forming in the gas space,

seems logical to me!

I fill mine to the brim most of the time but then again I do fairly high mileage so it wouldn’t be worth half filling the thing. The only time I ever do a splash and dash is if I need to fuel up at motorway prices, in which case it’s just enough to get me to the end of my journey.

I do tend to run it down to the mark and that’s not suppose to be good but doesn’t seem to be making any problems for me at the moment.

Bill :)

Usually run it down to the point it's telling me I've got 50 or so miles left, then plan my journey around filling up at the cheapest handy place.

Not worth lugging the weight of a full tank around all the time - that alone will knock 1 or 2 mpgs off your fuel economy.

That is also my theory.

I only put enough in for the journey and no more. I have run it close to empty on a few occasions but needs must. I have never known any problems arising from running your tank low. If I were to do a full top up it would cost between £90-£95 of 70 litres Diesel. So I usually top up with £65 and that does my required 500 miles.

In case anybody hasn't heard before there is a website called petrol prices. If you register they send out an email listing the five cheapest filling stations within five miles of your post code. You can set the frequency of the alerts according to your own needs.

I get this once a week. :wink:

I put some in when my red light has been on for a little while on as does my other half (unless we are going further afield of course then we will put some in before then obviously).

If anyone pinches my car tonight they will only get a couple of miles as the red lights been on since Wednesday. Safety measure maybe :oops::lol:

I keep saying I'm not going to do it and I will treat 1/4 as empty but brain knows it's not so it wont let me.

I remember the other year when we had those high winds and Warrington came to a complete standstill though. Luckily I had put some that morning as I used the whole £10 on the slow and painful 4 hour journey home from Penketh to near Stockton Heath :shock:

As mine costs about £120 to fill up with diesel, I tend to run at about half full because as Inky says, lugging what is the equivilant of two full tanks almost will affect the mpg!

Baz, just in case you read this I have sent you a PM regarding Toft's.