For anyone interested in 'Narrowboating'.

algy

Is there anything in particular about this boat Algy?

I have often asked for a look inside the engine room when they are moored up alongside the towpath. Never been refused yet, I just find that the brass work on some of the engines really appeals to me. Nearest thing to a steam engine I suppose.

Is there anything in particular about this boat Algy?

I have often asked for a look inside the engine room when they are moored up alongside the towpath. Never been refused yet, I just find that the brass work on some of the engines really appeals to me. Nearest thing to a steam engine I suppose.

Wingy she has a Russell Newberry model DM2 engine built by the National Gas and Oil Engine Company of Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire, a bit unusual as they either have Lister's, Yanmar (Dutch made), BMC or the Daddy of em! all Bollinder engines. I just happened to be at my Uncles place at Shebdon Wharf when I heard her coming down the cut.

Only ever been narrow boating once and that was a long time ago.

Spent a whole week on it and managed to get about ten miles down the canal. A good laugh though as on the first night one of the lads who was with us got up to get a breath of fresh air ( several beers and six burly aprentices does not make for pleasant evening honestly) anyhow he went up and stepped off the side to reach the bank. Unffortunately it was dark and he had forgotten which side the bank was on. It was ten minutes before we stopped laughing enough to fish him out.

:D:oops::D

Riveting.

CP

The topic was raised purely for the interest of those who take enjoyment from it and as a bonus to stimulate conversation, positive or negative and if that happens then it has achieved something, so-

"If thas' not interested then teck' off and find somat' that does interest thee".

Sid, great times to be had by young lads with booze,boats and water and when your that young responsibility just doesn't figure in the itinerary.

Mmmmmm

My in-laws were enthusiastic weekend boaters and about three years ago, they sold their house and moved onto a modern narrow boat. We visit them on the boat from time to time and they're happy but it certainly wouldn’t be my cup of tea, far too claustrophobic for me.

On the positive side, there’s some great pubs dotted all along the canals.:P

Bill :)