E-petitions?

observer

It appears the Government are commited to parliamentary debates being triggered by public E-petitions, should they have sufficient support. Good or Bad idea? Seems the first test of "the will of the people" V "the will of parliament" will be on the issue of the restoration of capital punishment. IF the majority of folk favour a return of capital punishment, but our elected MPs know better - doesn't this mean that the idea is a waste of time in the first place? :mellow:

E-petitions, not worth the paper they are written on. :wink:

How will they check that all the petition entries are genuine.

as an example I could send in three different entries using the three email addresses that i currently have.So what is to stop some large organisation who want something bringing up in their favour from swamping the system with e-mails from addresses set up solely for that purpose. Most off the e-petitions follow the format of copy this and send it to your mp or whomever. Also wonder how many will end up in the "SPAM" folder. <_<

The last government used e-petitions for years and the few I electronically signed did ask for name and postal address too so I gues there must be checks so had I used my four email addresses with the same name and postal address I guess they would not have been accepted.

The new government stopped the facility but must have re-introduced it again from what Obs says.

Anyway, despite what I have said I do agree with Evils, they are a waste of time and yes large organisations with a lot of people could indeed use it to their own benefit.

For the few I signed all that ever happened a once the deadline had gone a brief reply was received on behalf of Gordon Brown saying that he had seen the petition, read the content BUT blah blah blah ... in other words tough 'you know what'

So it seems their are some technical difficulties concerning possible abuse that need to be overcome. However, in theory, one could attain a truly participatory democracy (providing ALL folk actually participated), via the net. The civil service could pose questions for the public and/or propositions could be made on line, fully debated and voted on - thus making parliament and politicians redundant - £80million plus saving straight away! :D

The debate on returning Capital Punishment is great news.... unfortunately our MP's will do what they did last time and vote with "their" conscience and not what their constituents want.

Unfortunately, because ALL politicians are naturally lilly livered nancy boys, the thought of capital punishment will be "abhorrent" to them and it will be dismissed. Unfortunately, the abhorrent crimes that some people commit are ignored by these politicians and they favour the line that the criminal is a victim too who should be helped and nurtured like a new born......

sadly the victims of murder do not have a say once they are dead and the families rank even lower down on the importance scale than the criminals so there will be no return of the rope.

Didn't actually mean to start a thread on capital punishment; this idea clearly shows the glaring difference between the elected and the electorate. There was an MP on TV tonight and his arrogance was frankly unbelievable - basically a "we know best" attitude, basically asserting that politicians should lead public opinion rather than follow it - and there's me thinking they supposed to represent public opinion. So much for democracy. :roll: :roll:

If anyone ever intentionally killed a member of my family I would happily point the gun at their head, flick the switch, administer the poison or tie the rope around their necks, or at least I think I would as thankfully I have never been in a situation where anyone I know has been murdered so I can only guess that the hatred I would feel for them.

But on the other end of the line would be that person's family or parents pleading for me not to kill their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, father, son, mother or whoever.... maybe they had not meant to, maybe they were drunk, maybe they swayed by others, maybe ........... so what they still did it !

So what would I do ? A life for a life and all that ?

Should everyone who intentionally kills be taken out of society for good? I have no idea (thankfully) but the biggest part of me says a definate yes but then a tiny part of me says that is the easy way out for them.

Whatever, they certainly should NOT be housed in a soft cell prison full of free privileges and rights, possible early release for good behaviour etc etc.

If a person kills another either intentionally and/or premeditated then they should lose their 'lives' too even if reality that means just to cage them with the very minimum needed to keep them alive and nothing more (if they have to be kept alive) so that they suffer for the rest of their lives for what they have done !!

Does that sound a bit harsh ...

• 2 weeks later...

There was an MP on TV tonight and his arrogance was frankly unbelievable - basically a "we know best" attitude, basically asserting that politicians should lead public opinion rather than follow it - and there's me thinking they supposed to represent public opinion. So much for democracy. :roll: :roll:

In a recent survey 1 in 3 politicians were found to be just as stupid as the other 2. :wink:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The latest e-petition to muster 100,000 signatures, is calling on the Gov to get a grip of immigration - perhaps a little late, given the recent relaxation by the UKBA! :unsure:

I don't think relaxing a few checks n EU travellers would have made any difference Obs.....

now if they had had that debate before Labour opened the doors to every EU economic migrant across the Channel to come calling, that may have made a difference and maybe we wouldn't have so many kids out of work because instead they could be doing the low paid jobs the foreign chaps are all doing

Perhaps the Poles actually applied for the jobs Baz, and our kids did not,

So you are assuming now that all of our kids don't want to work?

That there are more kids now who don't want to work than there were say 5 years ago before the poles could come and take the low paid jobs when youth unemployment wasn't such a problem?

I wonder why youth unemployment has risen with the increase of cheap eastern european labour.... Maybe the two are linked?? :D