Standards

How right are we tut tutters about standards in this country, and how far is it just a normal progression to 21st century life.

As just two examples of the former, educational standards seem to have slipped and how can swearing at policemen not lead to a further corrosion of what is acceptable?

Is it just we oldies who are worried?

Happy days

Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

How times change, when I worked in Prestwich Hospital their were women in their who had been put in for having babies at 16 and some for having babies when they were unmarried,. They had spent their entire lives locked up. Theirs nothing like the good old days, when we had standards. :wink:

How times change, when I worked in Prestwich Hospital their were women in their who had been put in for having babies at 16 and some for having babies when they were unmarried,. They had spent their entire lives locked up.

They call them council estates these days :twisted:

Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.
But only 1 in 7 said they were grumpy :wink:

Kije, do you "honestly" like things the way that they are, or do you just like making meaningless comments whenever anyone critises the current behaviour of the population.

Yes there were things that were wrong, but change should be gradual. Closing those hospitals through a lot of people out on the streets without any support or guidance that was meaningful. And I don't care "whose" fault it was. it is OUR country and things should be done for OUR country, not for a politician's ego.

What I am saying each generation remembers the goods things but forget the bad, hence you say things were better back then :wink:

Was it right to lock people up for having a child when unmarried, no it was not.

Just found this from the 1950s. It comes out of the Daily Mail so it must be true :wink:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1364656/Missing-woman-reunited-family-60-years-disappearance.html

50's was your time wasn't it Peter, Well I'm glad it doesn't happen now.

The good old days :wink:

Think the original question was about "standards" - women were consigned to institutions cos having illigitimate kids was a cause of social shame, in a society which, on the surface at least, was less "sexually liberated". Now such women are rewarded with Council accomodation and a career as a benefits claimant. Take your pick which "standard" is preferable.

I wouldn't want to go back to the time when young women were locked away for becoming pregnant but on the other hand, a little bit of shame and fear does wonders for behaviour. Today's youngsters put themselves and their wants first, not something we were encouraged to do and I don't think it helps them at all when it comes to attitude and the work ethic. We have allowed things to go too far but I don't know where the solution lies. I think the vast majority of ordinary people want the standards of behaviour they were taught as children, but many in today's society seems to want to fight against this, vilifying parents and schools who try to instill discipline, many of whom are now at breaking point because of the child centred learning enforced by the Labour administration, which leads to chaos.

• Upvote 1

Do you all have 'standards' and if so what are they and how did you get them ?

Manners. Discipline. Self control. Respect for other people. Respect for my betters. Respect for the law and police.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (Not do unto others "before" they do unto you.)Without an in-depth analysis, that's it.

Some taught by my parents, others adopted as my way of life.

Perhaps you need another thread about what doesn't matter.

Perhaps Kije can pull that to pieces as an ageist thing.

Nothing ageist about those Peter and you have very good standards.

Infact they are pretty identical to mine and of most of the people I know (although I obviously have to say that I have far more than you in addition :wink: )

So despite our age differences they are quite 'standard' and like you say all part of a good upbringing etc.