Garnett's Tower

skittles

Surprised the subject has not been raised.

Developers want to demolish the building as it needs repairing at a cost of ?120,000, why can they not be told to just repair it and convert the buildings that are alreay there. If they did not want to do that they should not have bught them.

If they want shops, restaraunts and bars they should use some of the empty ones that are already in Warrington that are unused.

trouble is skittles; these are developers, not local historians. They look to make the most return on their money....that is what they do.

Unfortunately, the big problem here is the council, its lame officers and even lamer councillors who for some reason refuse to stop the erosion of our local history. They allow projects like this to get off the ground instead of just saying no and because they have allowed so much history to be demolished over the years; the developers see Warrington as an easy target....

If the developers had thought they'd be forced to repair it then they wouldn't have bought it at all, they'd have spent their money on something else somewhere else - simple as that.

In that case it would have been left to rot until it fell down anyway.

Nobody cared one iota about it all the years it was slowly falling apart, so why all the fuss now someone wants to spend money removing a crumbling wreck?

trouble is skittles; these are developers, not local historians. They look to make the most return on their money....that is what they do.

Unfortunately, the big problem here is the council, its lame officers and even lamer councillors who for some reason refuse to stop the erosion of our local history. They allow projects like this to get off the ground instead of just saying no and because they have allowed so much history to be demolished over the years; the developers see Warrington as an easy target....

I are 100%

If the developers had thought they'd be forced to repair it then they wouldn't have bought it at all, they'd have spent their money on something else somewhere else - simple as that.

In that case it would have been left to rot until it fell down anyway.

Nobody cared one iota about it all the years it was slowly falling apart, so why all the fuss now someone wants to spend money removing a crumbling wreck?

Again agreed, but someone owned it and it should have been repaired years ago.

Occasionally our councilars are proded to stop development. Developers cryed the same story about the Bewsey Hall and St Mary's School in Buttermarket St.

There ae alreay loads of empty new shops, bars and restaraunts in the town centre so there is really no need to pull down a listed building for yet more of the same.

I do not get it from the developers point, a old building like that makes a far more pleasant bar/restaraunt then some new build.

Then there is the enviromental damage of demolition and using new, scares materials, to put up yet more uneeded premisses.

Force the owners to repair the current building and put it to use. The council have the power to make repairs and invoice the owners.

As has previously been noted, developers are solely interested in making money. An ancient building needing repair will cost far more than knocking it down and building something new. If the original owners had maintained the building it wouldn't be in such a state of disrepair and presumably people were not interested enough to question this maintenance until a situation like this one occurs and they suddenly decide the building should be saved.

I don't have a particular view either way, but I do think that if you leave it until such a late stage to protest, the developers have almost won already.

I don't have a particular view either way, but I do think that if you leave it until such a late stage to protest, the developers have almost won already.

It is the council duty to see listed builings are maintained

I would love to save Warrington Baths, but how does one start?

You would have to start with a pile of bricks I'm afraid..... they started demolishing it last week!

OH no, I had this dream of turning it into a leisure centre, getting on board Camrons big Britain of saving it. Maybe I wil sneak in at night and put the bricks back

What are they building on there, the medical centre that was due to go there isn't going to be built, so I believe.

You would have to start with a pile of bricks I'm afraid..... they started demolishing it last week!

OH no, I had this dream of turning it into a leisure centre, getting on board Camrons big Britain of saving it. Maybe I wil sneak in at night and put the bricks back

What are they building on there, the medical centre that was due to go there isn't going to be built, so I believe.

Good to see that someone who claims to care about local heritage is so well informed and up to speed on the subject!! :roll::roll::roll:

Skittles, if you are going to crusade to save Warrington's heritage then perhaps you should consider changing your nom de plume as there are a load of 'skittles' in the town centre that are a disgrace to the town and I certainly would not wish to associate myself with those 'shiqquwts'. :wink:

Skittles, if you are going to crusade to save Warrington's heritage then perhaps you should consider changing your nom de plume as there are a load of 'skittles' in the town centre that are a disgrace to the town and I certainly would not wish to associate myself with those 'shiqquwts'. :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Could you two not sleep .... your posting times are very early especially for a Sunday morning :lol:

Early to bed early to rise, the best time of the day is early morning Dizz when there's only me and the Lancashire pigeons about. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Hi Dizzyhope you've caught up with your sleep - some people say that Joni Mitchel had something to do with the Tower being saved for the moment at least.

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/joni-mitchell-saves-northern-towns-historic-water-tower :lol: :lol:

But either way here is a link to her playing Bige Yellow Taxi for Joni fans like me. :rolleyes:

Nice one.....

all that needs to happen now is that the bloody councillors get off their arses; realise that bike lanes and bus stops don't bring jobs and prosperity to the town and build some proper wide roads like they have in Halton.....