Fabest Decade?

Geoffrey Settle

What is your favourite decade of music and why?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite decade of music and why?

Just been listening to Brian Mathews this morning 'Sounds of the 60's' but had to stop when I heard his remaining playlist for the last half hour to put on Teaser and the Fire Cat from the 70's.

To be fair he did play the Who's Pin Ball Wizzard which was great.

I enjoy Johnny Walkers equivalent which is also on at the weekend.

These progs have given me an idea for another survey.

What is your favourite decade of music and why :?:

The 50's because that was when music started becoming Rock and Roll. Without that era, you wouldn't have had the music that you got.

But all the era's are good for the people who grew up in that era.

Personally, I can listen to all types of music, except Punk/Heavy metal.

But the yardstick for me. is what gets my foot tapping and makes me want to get up and Jive. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

1920s. I would have added the 30s if allowed two decades. Even the 40s wasn't too bad.

After that it has been steadily going down hill.

The 20s and 30s were not the years I was brought up in but I have taken the trouble to look back to see what was being done before my time, which is something most people don't do (although, to be fair, the media don't allow them to!).

Music in the 20s and 30s was still being written by composers (not vocalists who don't want to pay royalties to others!) and was still music.

It is still being played today - admittedly by people who don't get much exposure on radio and TV. I doubt if much of the rock era music will still be played in 50 years' time.

It has to be the fifties. It was the pivotal decade, we started off in 1950 dancing to the Joe Loss Orchestra and Frank Sinatra and ended in 1959 dancing to Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. Personally though, if the music of the forties, especially the war years, had survived in number one spot, I wouldn't complain.

It has to be the fifties. It was the pivotal decade, we started off in 1950 dancing to the Joe Loss Orchestra and Frank Sinatra and ended in 1959 dancing to Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. Personally though, if the music of the forties, especially the war years, had survived in number one spot, I wouldn't complain.

Spot on Limey. Also you can't just pick one decade as ones music genre probably covers 3 decades. I like 55 to 65, but also like the Big Band Sound and the original R and B. plus Soul., not forgetting the Country music of Slim Whitman and Jim Reeves et al. :wink:

... you're laughing now Peter but you have been warned.... and never tell him you know how to download music from HMV :shock:

My pc is now 'infected' :lol:

ps....dont mention hawaiin or nana muskouri (spelling??) either... I hope his eyesight is as bad as his taste in music

Dizzy, you're spot on.....................Victor alert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I first heard Slim Whitman in the fifties and still enjoy his singing as much today. Also, I read your small print, Dizzy !

Nana Mouskouri is amazing. I am just imagining listening to a CD of Slim Whitman whilst eating a full bar of Old Jamaican Rum and Raisin. I'll have to sign off 'cos I'm getting too excited.