National Sovereignty?

observer

It appears that the European Court of Human Rights decision to sustain an appeal by a prisoner for the right to vote, places the wishes of of the British people and the Mother of Parliaments in a secondary role. The recent vote in Parliament alas is NOT binding on the Government, who are now fearing being sued by prisoners lining up for compen. Having heard more of the arguement, part of the judgement was based on a blanket" ban in the face of specific descriminatory legislation; so it appears the balls in the Government's court to introduce appropriate legislation OR to withdraw altogether from the HR convention; which clearly is being abused by those who abuse the human rights of others then run to Strasbourg to save their own. :twisted:

They bring in a marginal allowance and then run it again ECJ to try it out. They wont pull out of the ECHR as that would mean totally leavign the EC.

The idea of compo however i like. The scumbag gets it and then the victim in the knowledge that the scumbag is cash rich sues for damages and he loses it all. Cut out the middleman and just pay the victim back.

I understand it was but you woudl then have different laws in different countries conflciting with other laws regarding free trade etc. It would be chaos and create all sorts of jurisdictional issues.

As i said a compromise is likley but after some granstanding from all aprties.

Ignorance or not Kije.....the majority of the British people do not like to be dictated to by anyone outside of Britain. We should be given a referendum and get the hell out of it all. Then you and your fellow collaborators can go and live with Pierre and Fritz in happy Euroland

Most people react to what they see affecting their country and their own lives. It seems clear that many of the policies inflicted by the EC have a negative effect, demonstrated by the lack of jobs for British over foreigners (ignoring the usual arguments on those who don't want to work) and the Human Rights laws which seem to put criminals rights above victims.

The British are known for their sense of fairness so you can't expect them to happily accept laws which are clearly loaded against them.

I have been told that

"Despite the often repeated misconception, the ECHR and the EU are separate beasts and the UK could potentially withdraw from the ECHR without having to leave the EU. However, it is also wrong to say that ?the EU has nothing to do with the ECHR?. In fact, future EU accession to the ECHR, the EU?s Charter of Fundamental Rights and the growing amount of EU rights legislation is blurring the lines between the two to the extent that is becoming increasingly difficult to separate them. EU accession to the ECHR (the negotiations started last year) could allow ECHR rulings to impact on the UK through the back door. The UK would be forced to accept any EU law modified in response to an ECHR ruling."

Too complicated for me. Lets get out.