O'leary Street - Speed and Zebra Crossing

daniels86

errm you mean like the councils idea to implement 20 mph across the borough... that's based on an opinion rather than fact it would seem :wink:

You are right though.. experience is a good factor to take into consideration and I'm sure most people on here have experience of roads, drivers and pedestrians etc.

Bill you've already stated that you rarely use the road in question, and neither do I so maybe we are not in a position to comment on the safety of that actual road :oops:

But the person who started this topic and asked the question regarding the zebra crossing does live along there so will know a lottle more about the possible problems.

Well it always makes me wonder about what people perceive to be speeding.

For example there is the odd driver round our street that sounds as if he is doing about seventy down the street. All you can hear is the whine of his gearbox as he drives down the street in first. It really does sound as though he is going a lot faster than the probable twenty that he is almost certainly doing. (well until his gearbox packs in anyhow)

A little tale about the light controlled crossing near the hospital. last evening I went to see my mother in hospital. (I have been every night for the last two weeks and they are no nearer solving what is wrong with than when she went in) Anyway there I was standing at the crossing having pressed the button. seven cars went past and the road was temporarily clear of traffic. As I had pressed the button I thought that I would wait for the light to change. Several cars later and the lights had still not changed. by now there was another person waiting and sure enough as two cars approached the lights changed to red and the little beeper went off. Now normally I would be halfway across but was a bit slow starting out. This turned out to be fortunate for me as the car that was coming up did not realise that there were lights there let alone that they were on red.

In fact they only realised it when the happened to glance at them and me resplendent in my high vis jacket and slammed the brakes on managing to stop at a point about level to where i would have been had I stepped out.

I think that had it been a belisha crossing that i was using i would probably have ended up in a hospital bed myself. (well apart from the fact that I would have been across the road and inside the hospital by the time the person in the offending car reached that point.

I've never understood why Pelican crossings aren't at least fitted with a "Cancel" button which pedestrians could press if they're waiting for the lights but get across before they change.

Or even maybe a weight sensor in the pavement either side to detect if there's still someone waiting before the lights actually stop the traffic.

didn't someone once post that the lights at the Westbrook roundabout......(remember to vote David Earl out at the next election....the roundabout man!!) had detectors to override the push button if the person who pressed it managed to get across before the lights changed?

Having had a look at google maps and the street view i wonder why they have not put speed humps at either side of the section where the school is. That way people coming down the road from the 30mph into the 20 mph would have to slow down. Now to me that would be a correct use of speed humps.
They do, Callands road is full of speed bumps. therer are also speed bumps on the car park outside the school, and a crossing lady.

The cancel button is a great idea Inky... :D providing of course that people remembered to press it before taking their window of opportunity :?

I just wish that people were NOT brainwashed by their parents to push the button as soon as they get there. Look FIRST!!! :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

And don't pedestrians know that most lights on junctions are controlled by a timer, and so, no matter how many times they press the button it won't make any difference. :roll: