Union v League

wolfie

RU is a much poorer product than RL but it is much better organised and marketed. Attendance at RU Internationals is essential in the "proper circles"; knowledge of the game is not essential.

Having said that I enjoyed both the England and France matches.

Obs, how can you say Union is much more fluid to watch, the mauls can last for minutes, and esentially very little 'action' takes place, then they kick the ball into touch and it takes minutes for the line outs to happen before they ruck and maul again.

How can a rugby match, of either code, be described as fluid, when there is not a try scored in the game, and it is merely decided by penalties

League is all go for 80 minutes, and there has only been one tryless game in 15 years of super league

75,000 people don't have to go to work on Saturday mornings; whereas playing against teams in the south of France on a Sunday afternoon would seriously hamper your chances of getting back to Woolston Grange on a Monday morning......

Play league games on a Friday night and saturday instead of a dead sunday and attendances might rise a bit.

75,000 people don't have to go to work on Saturday mornings; whereas playing against teams in the south of France on a Sunday afternoon would seriously hamper your chances of getting back to Woolston Grange on a Monday morning......

Play league games on a Friday night and saturday instead of a dead sunday and attendances might rise a bit.

Think you are clutching at straws Baz.

A Wales v England RL match on a Friday night would be lucky to get 10000 watching it.

Union has improved as a game over the years as they have started to try and copy all the good things about league - the first improvement was when they realised the aim of the game was to pass the ball around, create gaps and score tries. :roll:

During the best bits of the Wales v England game you could have been watching a game of league!

The main reason Union is perceived by many to be a better game is that it is a global game while league has always been seen as the poor relation following the historic break away over payments.

League has always been seen as the working man's game while Union gets the backing of the well heeled big money organisations.

But I have to say the many Union bigots I have met over the years have now warmed to League - as they can see how it has helped their own sport improve.

No surprise that one of Rugby Leagues greats (Shaun Edwards) is coach of Wales!

• 2 weeks later...
RU is a much poorer product than RL but it is much better organised and marketed. Attendance at RU Internationals is essential in the "proper circles"; knowledge of the game is not essential

Well I admit to having no time for rugby of any variety, but I totally disagree with your assessment.

RL gets great marketing, and has the power of SKY behind it. RU only really gets that for International games.

The main issue RL has is that it is a much more niche game, not played at all in Scotland, barely in Wales, and only in parts of England. Hence crowds are less.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...