Tonight's sunset

Dizzy

Well I did try and they are better than the last ones I took (well I think so) :lol: Some were taken on auto with flash.. others I meddled about with the manual aperture setting :oops: (PJ keeps telling me to experiment) :lol: It was a nice sunset though but I must take more notice of trees and stumps if I'm stood near them :D

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1468-1.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

PS If you stand near a road at dusk/near dark and use your camera on flash mode (away from the traffic of course) all the cars slow down .... Dizzy the speed camera :lol::wink:

All good pictures Dizzy and PJ. Now let's see you put your obvious talents to work in the early morning. There was a lovely sunrise over Lymm this morning - but I didn't have my camera.

Unfortunately, if the old saying about red sky in the morning is true, we are in for some bad weather!

Pretty good camera on the iphone then if it takes what you are actually seeing. Must try out my new phone sometime. I've had it from before xmas and not even put the sim card in it yet :oops:

Did you take any pics with your beastie of a camera too :D

I always thought it was :

Red sky at night; shepherds delight,

Red sky in the morning; shepherds warning.

I've never said it with sailors

Anyway see if you can say the old way it used to be said.. :lol:

Origin

The saying is very old and quite likely to have been passed on by word of mouth for some time before it was ever written down.

There is a written version in Matthew XVI in the Wyclif Bible, from as early as 1395:

"The eeuenynge maad, ye seien, It shal be cleer, for the heuene is lijk to reed; and the morwe, To day tempest, for heuen shyneth heuy, or sorwful."

The Authorised Version gives that in a more familiar form:

"When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red. And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and louring."

There are many later citations of the saying in literature, including this from Shakespeare, in Venus & Adonis, 1593:

"Like a red morn, that ever yet betoken'd wreck to the seaman - sorrow to shepherds."

I think I'll start saying those in future just for a laugh :lol: