Global Terror Alert

Dizzy

Obviously in denial PJ, a complacency that will no doubt assure a worse case scenario. :roll: btw a lot of effort for a nervous laugh. :roll: .

It took me ages to type a joke post but to you it comes natural, everytime. You are clearly deluded if you think that the banning of all flights and I presume sea traffic into and out of Britain just to be on the safe side in case a pandemic should occur is a good idea or even worth thinking about.

Should we kill every bird on the planet too as I recall your like minded purveyors of doom scaring all and sundry with Bird flu horror stories.

If US documentaries about scary things are having this effect on you I suggest you stop watching them from behind your couch.

Or if you really believe this guff you spout why not use it as a platform and stand at the next election for the "ban all travel party, you may even muster more than 1.4% of the vote which would be good going for you :roll::roll::roll:

Don't give up the day job PJ - you have no talent for humour.

I am advocating making our own printer cartridges not as an anti-terrorism ploy but simply because it would make sense to make such simple items on the doorstep rather than ship them around the world. The same would apply to numerous other small items, including plastic toys from Hong Kong, etc.

If it reduced the number of objects that could be used to disguise bombs that would be a bonus

Don't give up the day job PJ - you have no talent for humour.

Egbert I imagine jokes are never funny if you are the butt of them.

So we make our own cartridges and plastic toys, although I don't recall many of the bombs coming from Hong Kong, then what job done and evil thwarted. What about the myriad other things we have to import on a regular basis?

The prog I'm referring to, contained interviews with a score of experts in their fields, and I agree, the scenario doesn't bare thinking about PJ - which obviously puts you at an advantage! :wink:

Are these the same experts who predicted massive death tolls with swine flu and bird flu and every other damp squib of a scare story they put out?

Air travel will never be done away with because you are a bit scared of a bunch of scare mongerers.

I suppose that a flight ban wouldn't concern you anyhow given that you wouldn't be allowed to pollute the whole plane with your smoke

Fact: pathogens have and are being found in NHS Hospitals which do not respond to any known anti-biotic. Fact: The recent Mexican outbreak was declared a pandemic by the WHO, and even you should remember how quickly and how far it spread - it was merely luck, that it didn't mutate into a drug resistant strain. Fact: pandemics occur approx every 30 years, the 1918 one killing around 20% of folk; subsequent outbreaks have only been mitigated by the development of suitable drugs. However, the mis-use of anti-biotics in places like India (where they can be bought over the counter), is leading to drug resistant strains. Put all this together, in a world of global movement and greater population densities, and there is a problem. The compexity and inter-dependence of modern social and economic networks, actually makes them more vunerable to collapse. But don't worry about it, just keep your head in the sand and it might go away! :wink:

obs does have a point. Extracting it doesn't make the potential threat go away.

I am struggling to remember when he has actually posted words of panic on here. His normal method is to put news items on here for discussion. the fact that he doesn't write or invent the news imo, means that he isn't scaremongering.

To add some credence to what he is saying, you only have to look at the last Foot and Mouth debacle, when the ex university graduates who run the country with no life skills, let the F & M spread all over the country. What happened to the good old days when we had farmers in Government.

Mind you, I suppose when the Bubonic Plague was rampant, everyone said it wouldn't spread.

obs does have a point. Extracting it doesn't make the potential threat go away.

I am struggling to remember when he has actually posted words of panic on here. His normal method is to put news items on here for discussion. the fact that he doesn't write or invent the news imo, means that he isn't scaremongering.

To add some credence to what he is saying, you only have to look at the last Foot and Mouth debacle, when the ex university graduates who run the country with no life skills, let the F & M spread all over the country. What happened to the good old days when we had farmers in Government.

Mind you, I suppose when the Bubonic Plague was rampant, everyone said it wouldn't spread.

I do not doubt that there are some pretty nasty viruses and diseases out there but I do not think the solution is to preemptively ban all flights in order to stop them spreading. It won't happen full stop, nor will we begin to manufacture everything in Britain which we now import and could be used for hiding explosives in . it is beyond us. For the record how many people in Britain died solely from Swine flu in the last pandemic, just from swine flu not underlying conditions?

The WHO predicted 65000

The WHO declared the Mexican outbreak to be a "pandemic" - not me; and it's rapid "global" rate of spread demonstrated just how quickly that can and will occur, thanks to modern levels of people movement. Fortunately, in that case, the virus didn't mutate into a lethal strain. Government's didn't invest ?millions in anti-virals and production of a vaccine for nothing - thankfully they have access to expert advice, unlike PJ. As for "banning" air travel, I'm not aware that I've said that - merely a reduction in our current levels of dependency on it - I'm sure we don't have to rely on the delivery of prawns from Madagascar for example. However, if and when an outbreak does occur, the normal response should be to isolate the area concerned, which apparently didn't occur quickly enough in the case of the Mexican outbreak. :roll:

So how many died then Observer? purely from swine flu.

When we've done swine flu we can move to Bird Flu, and after that peraps SARS

There used to be an old man who always turned up in town rain or shine every weekend and Warrington RL game. He always wore a bowler hat and had a banner which read "the end of the world is nigh" I used to laugh at him when I was a kid because it seemed such a stupid thing to say and do.

You were'nt related were you Observer????

As I've said, we were lucky that the virus didn't mutate into a lethal strain - however a child has just died in N/Ireland from flu - but I'm not claiming it to be another pandemic. Disease kills, it has been throughout history a bigger killer of Armies than actual fighting. Since the advent of penecillin, we've taken it for granted that it's no longer a problem, due to the behind the scenes fight in labs all over the world to keep up with mutating organisms. Attempts at nervous humour born out of self imposed ignorance may comfort one's compancency, but don't alter reality. :roll:

As I've said, we were lucky that the virus didn't mutate into a lethal strain - however a child has just died in N/Ireland from flu - but I'm not claiming it to be another pandemic. Disease kills, it has been throughout history a bigger killer of Armies than actual fighting. Since the advent of penecillin, we've taken it for granted that it's no longer a problem, due to the behind the scenes fight in labs all over the world to keep up with mutating organisms. Attempts at nervous humour born out of self imposed ignorance may comfort one's compancency, but don't alter reality. :roll:

110000 deaths in the UK were directly attributed to smoking related causes last year should we ban smoking????

There is no smoking ban Observer, people who must indulge in their filthy habit are merely requested not to pollute the air others need to breath. The rationale for smoke-free laws is based on the fact that smoking is optional and breathing is not. Therefore, smoking exclusions exist to protect breathing people from the effects of second-hand smoke, which include an increased risk of heart disease, cancer, emphysema, and other diseases. You know all this so why do you bother going on????