Macarthur Beattie and Pies.

lynnl

This is a bit of a long shot as not many people seemed to know about Macarthur Beattie but I worked there for a short time in 1965 I think it was and once a week we would order pies from a place nearby. I'm sure it was an actual pie factory. Some of the girls would go and bring them back on a big wooden tray. They were absolutely wonderful and I'm wondering if anyone knows the place I mean.

would that have been on owen street off dallam lane.

will have a word with my mother and see if she has any ideas. she used to work at revelation amongst others places and lives not far from there so may know of any pie shops/works that were in the area.

You have a choice of several but hot favourite would be Bailey Isaacs on Lythgoes Lane - for which I share your enthusiasm. (Wilderspool stadium on match days) Very well known all over the northern area.

Other possibilities are Walkers on Pinners Brow and Warburtons on Orford Lane. Also the bakers in Synge street, behind the Queens had, and possibly still do, excellent pies, particularly the meat variety, but they were small pies in size compared to Bailey Isaacs.

As a policeman and Orford boy I used to buy two pies for my lunch each day, hence I call myself an expert. Might add that free pies were available to any policeman calling at Bailey Isaacs, but I preferred to pay for mine.

Happy days

There were lots of local bakeries, Sue. I just quoted those nearest to Winwick road and carrying distance of Mac Beatties

Another three of my favourites were the stll existing Currall's; Cissie Keefes off Green street; and my favourite, Nicksons in lower bridge street. What a shock I got when they were "done" for unclean kitchens.

Happy days

Legion; - great description of Warbies pies. PC on that night beat could put one of their potatoes in the oven at the rear, and next time he passed some two hours later it was truly done.

Bailey Isaacs, certainly did pies. Lythgoes Lane at junction with Haydock street, if memory serves - virtually opposite to the Osnath pram works.

Happy days

Thankyou for all those suggestions. I didn't realise there were that many around that area. I'm still not sure which it would have been. The pies we usually got were the ones with mince in the bottom and potato on top. They call them potato pies here in Oz but they aren't as nice as pommie ones. I think the same place used to also sell bread and butter but that could have come from somewhere else nearby.

I was just reading something about the pie place on Gordon Gandy's website, My Warrington. Someone was saying there was a shop on Winwick Rd called Dolly Berry's which used to sell all kinds of different stuff like ribbons and things and that just down from that was a fabulous pie place where the girls from Mac Beatties used to buy their lunch. I think that must be the place. Can anyone tell from that which one it would be then?

Lynnl - I was assuming that the girls went to the pie bakery. Lots of shops then - and now - were agents for pies (bit like Roys rolls in Coronation street).

Memory tells me that there was a lovely shop on the

corner of Owen street which was a real corner shop. I used to buy sweets from there on my way to st Ann's Sunday school in Dannett street. That could well be your answer. The shop was also used by people at Walkers Brewery as well as the local populace.

Happy days

Harry, There is one pie shop that you forgot to mention, which was nearer to MacAurthur Beatties than any of them, and might be the one that Lynn was thinking of. It was called Dolan & Hattons, which was just around the corner from Owen Street at 169 Winwick Road just before its junction with Forster Street. Next door to it was Stringer's Chippy, and it was just a couple of doors from Dolly Berry's shop. The shop you mentioned at the corner of Owen Street was Mrs. Hunt's.

Actually there were a few I didn,t mention - not big enough McArthur Beatties was quite a large firm and had a football team in the local league so I was presuming it would be a large order.

Two othere which sprung to mind were the bakery on the opposite corner to where St Rocco's in Longford street now stands; and a smaller one, more or less opposite to Dorothea street - small but beautiful bread.

Also the one on Orford Avenue, which had the warmest wall in Warrington on a cold night.

Malrowan - quite correct on Mrs Hunt. Good local knowledge on your part.

Happy days (before supermarkets}

Harry, I was brought up in 'old' Watkin Street, so I was very familiar with most of the local shops. I used to run errands for an old lady who lived near us, and Dolan & Hattons was one of my Saturday morning errands for her. They did lovely pies, and what made me think this could be the shop Lynn was thinking of, was that they did sell pies with mince in the bottom and potato on the top, silimar to a cottage pie. They were gorgeous.

Then I had to go a few door down to Daniel's grocers to get her cooked meats.

I spent may happy days in my childhood and teen years in that area. There were many local characters, and great neighbourliness

Hi-jacking the thread, I was brought up in East avenue, but all my family was from Forster; Hale and Bowes street. Brickfield; Gospel hall; Kay and Cowdell;etc.

You will be too young to remember the barber Ted Beswick, Forster street. He only had one leg and used to hop around you. Clearing hair from the floor was just about an annual event in those "good old days?"

Happy days

Harry, I must be older than you think. I do remember Ted Beswick. He used to do his barbering in his front parlour, next to Lighfoots fruit shop.

The old lady I mentioned that I ran errands for lived in Hale Street.

She was Mrs Chadwick (used to call her Mam Chad) Lovely lady.

Her family were lifelong friends of my mums family, who lived back to back with them in Cyril Street. Happy days.

There were two Hayes's in the Forster street area. One rich , one poor. Guess which one was mine.

I've always been friendly with the bookies sons from my sporting past.

Forgive me for rambling backwards, during the war. Jim in particular would BUY a bottle of pop and then give it to you after having a "swig". You were left with the bottle and contents, the first of which was worth twopwence. Similarly with an apple or pear. What affluence.

Chadwicks were a few houses further up Hale street from my relatives at 35 (Boughtons), and probably opposite the Gresty's.

Happy days

PS a contrite afterthought. Three Hayes clans in Forster street - Jim Hayes my cousin, made Mayor from humble beginnings.

Lynn, You said the pie shop you are looking for was a few doors from Dolly Berry's shop. If that is correct it was definitely Dolan & Hatton. They did bake their own pies at the back of the shop.

Dolan & Hatton was at 169 Winwick Road and Dolly Berrys was at

173 or 175,Winwick Road.

Confusion abounds. If it wasn't a shop it must be Bayley Isaacs.

McArthur Beatties was almost on Winwick road; Cross into say, Forster street to Orford Lane.

At the end of Forster street and opposite was Warburtons. Turn right into Orford Lane and travel towards town you passed the boxworks. Just a bit further on, turn left into Lythgoes lane and Bayley Isaacs was 100 yards down there.

Happy days

There was little to choose between the distance of Warburtons and B isaacs - depends which way you went. I described them for comparison down Forster street.

Warburtons was a cake and pie shop, bakery at the back. I think there was another branch in Lovely lane, possibly sans a bakery.

happy days

I was just reading something about the pie place on Gordon Gandy's website, My Warrington. Someone was saying there was a shop on Winwick Rd called Dolly Berry's which used to sell all kinds of different stuff like ribbons and things and that just down from that was a fabulous pie place where the girls from Mac Beatties used to buy their lunch. I think that must be the place. Can anyone tell from that which one it would be then?

Lynn , you said in the above posting that you think the shop must be the one on Winwick Road, JUST DOWN FROM DOLLY BERRYS.

That was DOLAN & HATTONS - Believe me....