Super League

Wolfette

Trying to make it an international spectacle at the expense of focusing on the traditional heartlands.

The Premier league doesn't have French teams playing in it - they have a competition called the Champions League.

If they want to have European fixtures there should be a European league for those big enough to compete in it and have it as an extra competition.

Still missing the county cup competitions and the regal trophy.

At the moment it is the usual suspects for the Super League title each year with the Challenge Cup the only other ray of hope for other clubs to win something.

I'd bring back promotion and relegation, get rid of the Northern Rail Cup and have the Championship sides play eachother 3 times. I'd also bring back Bramley and at least 1 other 'outpost' team into NL1. I wouldn't go near County Cups again, they were never a money spinner until the Final.

This takes me back when I wrote to the Evening Post and Chronicle decades ago. I was becoming disillusioned with the game(nowt changes) and proposed some modifications to the way I thought the game should go. Even in those days of fat prop forwards there seemed to be just too many players on the pitch so what I suggested that teams be reduced to eleven players and that scrums should be abolished. Any knock-ons / forward passes the game should be resumed by the offending side turning over possession and then restarted with a tap penalty. I'd also like the substitutes to be reduced back to two so the game becomes what it was then...a test of stamina. Twelve interchanges is ridiculous, you can hardly keep track of what's going on. The game is starting to become deadly dull once more and I can feel a self-imposed exile coming on again.

Just the one thing? That's a toughie. Wouldn't mind putting a long list of stuff I'd change.

Although contested scrums would be nice, I think a change in salary cap and quota rules is needed.

With the salary cap, only quota, overseas and federation trained players should count. Home grown players should be exempt. I guess you could cap it until a player turns 24, but I think exemption through a career would be best. It'd certainly stop players moving away from their home town clubs just for the money.

I wouldn't say no to having quota rules that limit clubs to 3 overseas players, only one of which would not be counted on the Kolpak

I can feel a self-imposed exile coming on again.

Well I am coming out of mine :wink:

Relegation is the obvious problem with our SL set up leading to a total lack of fan interest with 50% of games in the second half of the season.

Can nobody see the obvious or are we protecting our expansionist teams from the real world ???

Relegation is the obvious problem with our SL set up leading to a total lack of fan interest with 50% of games in the second half of the season.

Can nobody see the obvious or are we protecting our expansionist teams from the real world ???

Nice to see you back - and plenty of friendly Wire posters on here now! :D:wink:

Nice to see you back - and plenty of friendly Wire posters on here now! :D:wink:

Thanks Gary

I am surprised at the number of posters you seem to have aquired,lets just hope the less welcome trollers now keep away

Thanks Gary

I am surprised at the number of posters you seem to have aquired,lets just hope the less welcome trollers now keep away

Why the surpise - quality always come through! :wink:

Harlequins RL (22) 23 Wakefield (10) 16

Tries: Howell, Jones-Bishop, Clubb 2 George, Blanch, Kirmond

Goals: Orr 3 Cooke 2

Drop Goals: Gale

[u]Attend: 2,355[[/u]

some things never change :(

Well I'm surprised it's that high TBH, the Challenge Cup doesn't usually get high attendances, but this is probably higher than it actually was, as they always exaggerate. Eg. When they played Hudds theremust have been less than 1,000 there but it was announced as 2,600 IIRC.

Simple, the team at the bottom gets relegated and the top team from the Championship comes up, only then would it be a proper competition. Any new team starts in Championship 1

I have to agree with this as well - if teams don't have to fight to survive it makes the competition a farce!

I would remove all the loop holes that allow certain teams to gain unfair advantage on overseas players ! if you were not born a uk citizen you should count on the overseas register !

Also change the law on charge downs - if you charge down a ball from a kick and do not get the ball the count for the opposition should not go back to zero it should carry on the only time it should go to zero is if it is touched as part of an interception attempt from a pass IMO !

Scrums are pointless although I'm not sure what you would do instead, i would change back the recent rule of pushing/pulling into touch and this "played at" nonsense.... When a man is committed to the tackle and the ball hits his hand that should never be classed as played at and with the rule being there it causes more confusion than what it's worth... why reward the bad pass with another set of 6 just play on either way.