Sticks and Stones?

observer

Seems the UK is not the only place where PC nonesense abounds: the French are about to bring in a law against "psycological violence" - basically, a wimps charter to prevent name calling 9particularly in domestic situations) - but without black eyes and bruising, one wonders how they will provide evidence of an infringement? :roll:

There are too many times when Police can't take action over situations that are clearly going to end up as domestic violence or child abuse. You're fast enough to complain on the occasions when they don't intervene because technically no offence has been committed. If there is an option that allows intervention before someone ends up in hospital, then I'd say that was fairly useful.

I'm with Obs on this one. Very Gimmicky. Getting evidence would be a nightmare - even worse that it currently is with domestic violence.

Don,t really think either, that we want the police to intervene in what happens in nearly every home from time to time.

Luckily for me,I'm in the lifeboat as my wife is fairly deaf, so she can't provide evidence to convict.

Happy days

Yet they can have a crime of passion??? Confusing.

Whilst it seems a female gene that makes them have the last word, does that mean more French women are going to be locked up???

And will they be breathalysed before arrest? (Ever heard the Warrington girls eff and jeff?)

The French law is not a domestic violence law - that is Obs, sticking his big spoon in the pot as usual. At present, if fifteen yobs stand outside Observer's house shouting names at him, there's bog all can be done about it. Not until they actually hit him with bricks, kick him to death or burgle his home. Then everyone will criticise the Police for not acting, and unless he is actually dead, Obs will be the first and the loudest.

Think what LP meant to say that the police WILL do nothing about it.

Any of the public order offences apply and the easiest one - conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace.

Happy days

No. What I meant to say was that in my opinion, the French are making a perfectly sensible attempt to deal with a difficult issue. By providing a structured opportunity for intervention, they will be able to prevent worse things happening to some people.

But then, I have been married twice and never once has there been an occasion where this new law would have applied, so perhaps I don't fear it as some might.

There are already laws in this Country (and probably France too) to cover the situations cited by LP; EG: illegal assembly, stalking etc. If someone doesn't like a domestic situation, they can leave it - end of. Think we need police to operate on evidence - not accusation of thought. :roll:

That sort of attitude is precisely why people can't get themselves out of abusive domestic situations. Male or female, they are being attacked and intimidated, their confidence eroded and they are frightened to admit it and ashamed of it, because people like you make remarks like that. If a worker was abused day in day out by his or her line manager, there would be a procedure for stopping it that goes beyond "well chuck in the job then, you pathetic sod". Why on earth do you think that marrying someone gives you the right to make them miserable? Mrs Obs must be a saint!

No, Obs, they can't. People in those situations - male or female - have had their self-worth chipped away completely. They believe the situation is their fault, they don't believe they deserve better. In many cases, they love their partner and have been manipulated into believing that the situation is of their making. So they get through every day trying to "get it right" so things will improve. When you are bullied and intimidated to that degree, it really is very hard to break away and rebuild any kind of confidence.

Intervening earlier would also give people a chance of fixing things and staying together.

Intervening earlier would also give people a chance of fixing things and staying together.

A nice thought, but could you see it happening in this country when policing prioritises everything, with gun crime at the top, followed by drugs?

Very sad though. I thought we had places in Warrington where people could go.

There are not very many places, and most of them are not places where you would opt to take your children. Most are pretty well charities, run by people who have survived abuse, and if you're a bloke, I honestly don't know of anywhere at all.

The other problem you have with refuges is that there are a fair number of violent and horrible people likely to turn up there looking for their spouse. Frying pan and fire if you're trying to get your children away from domestic violence.

There you go again. Can you just for one second take your head out of your own little sandpit and imagine what it must be like to have fallen in love, married, had kids and then had your spouse - male or female - start picking away at your confidence, day in, day out, until you believe you are nothing? Stuck in a situation you can't fix, believing you deserve it and knowing that if you tell anyone, they'll call you pathetic too? That's what is happening to all kinds of people, and it is not because they are pathetic or weak or stupid. It's because they are good and decent and never expected it and still hope it'll get better or don't want to damage their kids.

If you can't get your head around how awful that must be, then do the decent thing and keep quiet. Nobody in that position needs your abuse too.

once went on one of those "confidence building" courses.

it was a three day course which can be summed up in a short statement. "you have the right to say no" they then added that you then had to live with the consequences, whatever they were.

as for counselling, they will only get that if they ask for it and somebody with very low self esteem would hardly be in a position to do that.

I think the reason Obs has a blind spot on the domestic abuse front is that he's a nice bloke who wouldn't dream of deliberately squashing someone into the ground like that, so he doesn't realise that other people do it and enjoy it, or how very bad it can get.

As for gangs of yobs, I'd give it four minutes before he started firing out of the spare room window..... :wink: