Good day all round

Eagle

Couldn't have gone to a better professional sportsman.
Probably hard to disagree with that. Also hard to say he wasn't the worst candidate of the final ten. In fact what did he do to be in any way considered for the award ths year, that 100 footballers wouldn't have had better claim to? Other than being very old and still holding down (sometimes) a first team slot at ManU?

Probably hard to disagree with that. Also hard to say he wasn't the worst candidate of the final ten. In fact what did he do to be in any way considered for the award ths year, that 100 footballers wouldn't have had better claim to? Other than being very old and still holding down (sometimes) a first team slot at ManU?

Well he was voted 'Footballer of the year 2009' by his fellow professionals probably including the 100 that you think would have had better claim to it. :roll:

The only good thing about the poo match (as well as them getting stuffed) was the TV tributes to Shanks.

Anyone who knows what they are talking about would realise poo were not stuffed - it was 2-1, a game of two halves and decided by one fluke Aresenal goal and one wonder strike.

Gary wrote

Anyone who knows what they are talking about would realise poo were not stuffed - it was 2-1, a game of two halves and decided by one fluke Aresenal goal and one wonder strike.

Although scousers and Mancs may disagree on the finer points of football, it's good to see we have agreed on a description of the team from Merseyside. :wink:

Well he was voted 'Footballer of the year 2009' by his fellow professionals probably including the 100 that you think would have had better claim to it. :roll:

Which, I'm sure you'll admit was pretty farcical as well? I can see you're viewing this through red specs, so pointless arguing.

He did nothing special, Button is world Champ; Haye is world champ; Philips is world champ; Tweddle is world champ; Cav won the most stages ever for a Briton in the TDF, and multiple other races besides; Murray won 6 tour events, most ever for a Brit; what exactly did Giggs do that was so outstanding this year?

Did he not also collect a unique 11th medal?

His record is;-

Two European Cups, 11 league titles, four FA Cups, three League Cups, one UEFA Super Cup, one Intercontinental Cup, one Club World Cup,

A feat that will never be be beaten. :D:D

So a lifetime achievement award would be appropriatte dont you think?

fatshaft wrote

what exactly did Giggs do that was so outstanding this year?

Well basically get more votes than anyone else. :wink:

But seriously, I never said that he deserved to win, I simply said that it couldn't have gone to a better professional sportsman.

I agree that a lifetime achievement award would have been more appropriate. :shock:

Being World Champs doesnt mean a nomination. We have had 7 out of the last 10 RL World Club Champions who never got a mention. Warringtons effort of winning the Challenge Cup got 5 secs of TV. Man United's famous treble of 1999 as far as I am aware didn't get a team award. :?:?

Button was very fortunate to be world champ. Brawn took them all by surprise and they built up a lot of points.

Surely consistency should be rewarded no matter who you support. :roll:

That's right, which is why they give out a lifetime achievement award for those who didn't have a knockout year during their career, but nonetheless had a remarkable career. It's a shame that club support has again made this award a joke.

It was an open vote, a public choice and he won by a mile. He's a decent, solid bloke with a great talent and he made the most gracious acceptance speech I've ever heard! How does that devalue an award for "public's choice" in any way? Save your indignation for the times when Ant & Dec get Katherine Tate's Award so as not to upset Robbie!

And they couldn't give him the lifetime award - they gave that to Seve on account of him having a brain tumour!

It was an open vote, a public choice and he won by a mile. He's a decent, solid bloke with a great talent and he made the most gracious acceptance speech I've ever heard! How does that devalue an award for "public's choice" in any way? Save your indignation for the times when Ant & Dec get Katherine Tate's Award so as not to upset Robbie!
LOL, no idea what award you're even on about, but please be assured it wouldn;t bother me one way or the other.:lol:

It's devalued because he clearly wasn't the most deserving of the contendors. And public votes lend themselves to bias rather than objectivity too often. Votes will be cast on the basis of favourite team, nationality etc, rather than most deserving. Manx Radio and forums for instance ran a "vote Cav" campaign, hardly a case of voting for the best candidate there either is it?

And they couldn't give him the lifetime award - they gave that to Seve on account of him having a brain tumour!
They can give him it when he hangs up his boots ldo. :roll: