Luck of the draw?

observer

Do you know, it really brasses me off when the negativity starts. The Cameroons do not stand a cat in Hell's chance of winning, but their entire nation will be cheering their lads on and bursting with pride that they are there and having parades for them when they go home.

Meanwhile, we are a seeded team - top eight. Our Premier League is the most respected worldwide and everyone wants to play there. We have some of the finest talent, bar none, and there is every chance that our lads will bring home the World Cup. There are only FIVE nations with better records than ours in the World Cup (Uruguay - 2 wins, Brazil - 5, Italy - 3, Germany - 2 and Argentina - 2) and only SEVEN nations have ever won it, France being the seventh name. But are we proud? All those lads will get is negativity until they win - then they'll be everyone's best mates.

Can't we all, just for once, agree to be supportive and optimistic, whilst accepting that there's an element of chance too. I still reckon we were good for a win when Maradona cheated.....

And I also reckon that there's a fair chance of Mexico and Uruguay squeezing out the French. For the good of the game, I hope they do. I'll certainly be cheering them on!

And finally, Eagle, how many strikers do we need when one of them is Wayne Rooney? World's best, bar none, that lad.

LP, A question was asked. It was answered.

And yes, they all want to play in the Premier League, but I think that has to do more with money than the climate and the people.

This country do not do very well on the world stage. Is that anything to do with the number of foreign players that ply there trade here? English players are becoming a second class grade apart from the few.

Our so called world class players apart from Rooney are becoming a bunch of injury prone players nearing the end of their careers.

Finally, just because people give an honest answer, doesn't mean that the team will not be supported. Far better to be realistic than to get engulfed by the media frenzy that guarantees that England will win everything only to crucify them when they don't. :wink:

LP, you have been on the Forum long enough to realise that opinion other than yours is offered on various subjects.

I don't think England are good enough to win the World Cup and your much respected Premier League is one of the reasons. A large majority of the better players can't play for England.

Being realistic isn't being less supportive or less patriotic than anyone else but don't let that stop you being your usual superior self.

I shall be in the pub as usual with son and grandson cheering them on and then watching on TV the England free semifinals & final.

I hope you are right but I wouldn't put money on it.

There are only FIVE nations with better records than ours in the World Cup (Uruguay - 2 wins, Brazil - 5, Italy - 3, Germany - 2 and Argentina - 2)

Italy have won it 4 times and Germany 3 :roll:

don't let statistics and facts get in the way of a good rant Wolfie!!

LP, you have been on the Forum long enough to realise that opinion other than yours is offered on various subjects.

I don't think England are good enough to win the World Cup and your much respected Premier League is one of the reasons. A large majority of the better players can't play for England.

Being realistic isn't being less supportive or less patriotic than anyone else but don't let that stop you being your usual superior self.

I shall be in the pub as usual with son and grandson cheering them on and then watching on TV the England free semifinals & final.

I hope you are right but I wouldn't put money on it.

And you have certainly been here long enough to know you have no cause to refer to me as considering myself superior. Disagree by all means, but please don't indulge in namecalling unless you can pull it off with humour. And as I recall, I didn't take issue with your opinion or anyone else's, I merely ASKED for a little focus on our achievements instead of a dismal prediction of doom and said I found the general English habit of doom-mongering annoying. Which I believe falls under your statement of everyone being allowed an opinion?

Would you believe Hill's have Brazil as only third favourites to win? Obviously, they'd shorten the odds on England because they'd expect heavy betting, but top of their shop is Spain at 9/2. (England at 5/1, Brazil 11/2, Argentina 9/1 and the rest at least 12/1). Do they know something we don't?

More fun to have a mad quid on Korea at 2000/1..... and you get half the odds if they make the final and lose! :lol:

Am I the only person in the world who couldn't care less about the football world cup ? Go on admit it...how many times have you attended a football match or watched it on TV and wondered why the hell am I watching this rubbish ? It's monotonous, predictable and very boring, plus too much spit and snot involved.

Would you believe Hill's have Brazil as only third favourites to win? Obviously, they'd shorten the odds on England because they'd expect heavy betting, but top of their shop is Spain at 9/2. (England at 5/1, Brazil 11/2, Argentina 9/1 and the rest at least 12/1). Do they know something we don't?

More fun to have a mad quid on Korea at 2000/1..... and you get half the odds if they make the final and lose! :lol:

Don't forget anything is possible (apart from England winning it of course!!) remember when Greece won the Euros??? I bet no one saw that coming apart from a few Greeks who had a few sheckles or whatever on the long shot!

Am I the only person in the world who couldn't care less about the football world cup ? Go on admit it...how many times have you attended a football match or watched it on TV and wondered why the hell am I watching this rubbish ? It's monotonous, predictable and very boring, plus too much spit and snot involved.

Safe, I used to be an avid Rugby League fan but not since Super League started because it too has become

monotonous, predictable and very boring,

I see your point though; the Premiership has become very predictable as too the World Cup :wink:

I'd venture to say you're the only person in this thread who felt that way.... :lol: