Wondering why pubs are closing?

asperity

Ooooh, Obs, if there's a chance to be wrong about me, you are in there, aren't you? I've been in every pub and bar in Lymm at some point. I have a weekly night out with my mates too and we go to the pub. I can play a decent game of darts and like real ale better than poncy lagers. And it's bl**dy lovely to be able to enjoy myself and not come home smelling like an ashtray!!

Asp, I do not vilify smokers. I defend their right to smoke if they wish. If they ever respected anyone else's right to choose to NOT smoke, we'd not have needed a ban, would we? Smokers would have politely stuck to nipping outside or smoking in the coffee lounge and leaving clean air in some spaces for the rest of us and we could all have got along nicely.

And let's be straight - if they gave a stuff about their precious local, they'd still go in there, wouldn't they? But according to you, these selfish egomaniacs have stalked off and withdrawn their support because they can't have their own way unopposed on all things.... :twisted:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, well, bedrooms only - no, I didn't know that, I just knew there was exemption. So either they argued that Westminster is a care home, hospice, prison or mental unit (plausible in all cases!!) or it was about security, which I suppose makes sense - if MPs are required to stand outside for a smoke, then that does make them easier to shoot.... in which case, can we appeal the ruling? :lol::twisted:

.... and why should smokers support their pub - if they only represent 20-25% of folk, that means 75% should be happy to support their local pub, thus in theory, they should be doing a roaring trade. Reality is, the same anti-smokers who never used the pubs in the first place, still arn't using them. :roll:

I'd have said pub closures had more to do with the fact that you can buy a lot more beer for your money almost anywhere else, then sit on furniture not soaked in other people's spillages and enjoy company you've actually chosen instead of listening to the same boring drunks as last week whilst two teenagers spend so long swapping tongues you actually start to worry they'll turn blue.

However, that's just me. Perhaps there are people who enjoy paying three quid a pint and having Mad Ronald join them for a discussion on how the Germans bombed his Granny's Pie Shop, interspersed with Smelly Eric weeing down his trouser leg and Barfing Stan living up to his name and filling the spittoon yet again..... after all, there's always the dartboard, as long as you don't mind the waft of the Gents, thinly disguised by the fifteen citronella fresheners glued to the doorframe..... or you can totter up the road to the new place and drink CamelWee lager from ?7 hi-tech bottles whilst perched on a chrome toadstool watching satellite baseball in widescreen with people called things like Jerome and Tancred..... :twisted:

Each to his own, as they say!!

I've been in a pub like that.......once. :)

I can only speak from my own experience and since the smoking ban, I?ve stopped going to my two local pubs because they provide no facilities whatsoever for me as a smoker and there?s no way that I?m going to be forced stand outside in the wind and rain. No great loss for them for what I spend a week on beer but then again I?ve taken my none smoking friends with me as well.

Whether the spate of pub closures is due to supermarket prices or the smoking ban is debatable but one thing stands out like a sore thumb and that?s the winners are the food establishments like the Plough while the big losers are the traditional pubs.

The Plough at Houghton Green by the way is good and for quite some time was my Friday night local but being honest, if it wasn?t for the food, that place just wouldn?t survive. I?d question Geoff?s comment about it having a good play area for kids (unless he?s talking about the car park) and I wouldn?t recommend it for a family with young kids.

Bill :)

No, but at least they have enough space to provide a fairly decent facilities outside. That said, it?s starting to get a bit chilly in the evenings and they don?t seem bothered that the heat and light system has been broken for several months.

I now tend to go to the London Bridge at Stockton Heath where I can nip out for a smoke in comfort. The beer there is pretty good too.

Bill :)

I'd have said pub closures had more to do with the fact that you can buy a lot more beer for your money almost anywhere else, then sit on furniture not soaked in other people's spillages and enjoy company you've actually chosen instead of listening to the same boring drunks as last week whilst two teenagers spend so long swapping tongues you actually start to worry they'll turn blue.

However, that's just me. Perhaps there are people who enjoy paying three quid a pint and having Mad Ronald join them for a discussion on how the Germans bombed his Granny's Pie Shop, interspersed with Smelly Eric weeing down his trouser leg and Barfing Stan living up to his name and filling the spittoon yet again..... after all, there's always the dartboard, as long as you don't mind the waft of the Gents, thinly disguised by the fifteen citronella fresheners glued to the doorframe..... or you can totter up the road to the new place and drink CamelWee lager from ?7 hi-tech bottles whilst perched on a chrome toadstool watching satellite baseball in widescreen with people called things like Jerome and Tancred..... :twisted:

Each to his own, as they say!!

I've been in a pub like that.......once. :)

Which one? Sawdust and spittoons or Camelwee Lager and chrome? Were you canvassing? :lol::twisted:

Thanks LP for proving my point - pub attendance is down cos the folk who didn't use them in the first place (excuse being the smoke); still don't use them (excuse now being too many chavs) - perhaps the next installment will be a ban on chavs - the final solution Mein Herr! :wink: btw: is just coincidence that this Gov appetite for lifestyle "bans" and huge amounts of trivial legislation coincided with the advent of a record number of female MPs? :lol:

Obs, if people who never went to pubs still don't come to pubs, then that does not REDUCE attendance. It makes bog all difference. Attendance only falls if people who did go stop going.

Unless you have some method of tracking whether more people stay away than before, so you can assign a minus value to offset the people who do go in, in which case, you are either a lunatic or the next Einstein. "Observer's Theory of Relative Pub Attendance" - you heard it here first, folks!! :twisted:

Hmmmmm. Well, are women the majority of MPs? If not, it's your lot voting in these things, Obs.... Were women the majority of expense cheats? Or the worst ones? :?

The name Jacqui Smith comes to mind with regards to the latter point. In fairness I don't think the propensity to fiddling is gender specific :wink:

Just the one lady then, Paul? No, I don't think cheating is gender-specific, I was simply sticking a pin or two in Observer's usual hot air balloon of an opinion... :wink::lol:

LP, I suggest you revisit the maths: IF the majority of anti-smoking fanatics (like yourself), didn't frequent pubs/clubs cos of the smoke hazard; I think it's reasonable to assume that the majority of folk who did frequent pubs were either smokers or folk who didn't mind being in the company of smokers - are you with me so far? So, if these folk who actually used the pubs, now cease to do so, they will tend to be empty. Now, IF the majority (ie. non-smokers) led by the fanatics, were to begin frequenting the pubs, in theory, they should be full to the gills. However, previous smoking clients havn't been replaced by the no-smoking lobby, for, as YOU said, YOU prefer the comfort of your own home and wouldn't wish to associate with the masses. So now the pubs remain empty - hope the logic of that isn't too much for you to cope with?! :roll::wink:

If they were in my local I would definitely stop going, are you lost again Geoff? :roll:

Accurate summary Obs, you could have added that smokers tended to drink in larger amounts than the few wimps, WI members and diners that have replaced them in the eateries.

The smoking ban killed my local club.