Call centre mystery callers

i had a spate of the silent calls, this is usually because there was nobody available to pick up the automated call at their end.

all i did was dial 1471 and if i could get the number then i reported it to ofcom.

i have also had my nuumber put on the call preferencing list and have withheld number barring.

still get them though as most of them these days come from outside the uk and are not subject to our rules.

on the odd occasion that they do get through i have several ways of dealing with them depending on how i feel.

when asked if i and mr SID i just say no I'm just burgling the place.

if they just say mr SID then i reply that's a coincidence it's my name as well.

best one was one of those debt management ones i let him get through his spiel and then asked if he could get the fiver back from brother that he borrowed last week.

Had a call recently from a call centre and got on my high horse, big time..........did the usual rant about strangers calling me at home and not giving me their home numbers to discuss the situation at a more convenient time. Ended up feeling really guilty, the young girl was just getting to the end of a 12 hour shift and was knackered. It isn't the people making the calls that are a problem, it's the culture that drives it.

Hi just had yet another disguised sales call, you know the one with the pregnant pause. :roll:

I used to get annoyed with them :twisted: but now before they start their talk I simply ask them to remove my name from their data base and wish them good day.

What have your experiences been with them?

I use to have the same problem with sales calls, if you contact BT, and enquire about the TPS (Telephone Prefrence Service) your telephone number will go on to a data base that will automatically disallow businesses from cotacting you, and if they do, they are liable for a substantial fine, or just say to the caller you belong to the TPS and thay should put the phone down straight away...it is worth enquiring.

Hope this is of help.

TPS helps a lot. But only UK companies are bound by it.

The other trick I've used with the more persistent ones is to sound interested in their double glazing, new kitchens, or whatever it is they're flogging, and make an appointment for a salesman to call round.

"You don't mind if I carry on cooking my tea, do you?" I'll say to him when he arrives, "We can talk just as easily in the kitchen."

If he's still talking when my meal is ready I'll happily eat it in front of him. Then I'll interrupt his spiel and tell him that I never had any interest in his products, that it's a rented property so I don't have responsibility for any of that stuff, and explain that if his call centre felt entitled to waste my time on the phone then I had no hesitation in returning the favour.

Keeps me amused, anyway.

I don't believe it, I've just had an unsolicited call from the Labour Party on my TPS registered line!!

They got told where to go in no uncertain terms, and the next thing on my to-do list is to log a complaint with TPS.

Anyone else been cold called by them?

No but I am getting too many calls that are ignoring the TPS. I don't think it shows up if the caller is out of this country and an awful lot of these callers sound like they come from India or thereabouts. I trust your caller from Labour didn't?

I don't believe it, I've just had an unsolicited call from the Labour Party on my TPS registered line!!

Anyone else been cold called by them?

No and in all fairness we have NEVER had any calls here from any political party... strange.... perhaps we have been blacklisted :lol:

Sometimes wish they would phone though as I'd like to hear what some of them have to say :?:wink: