An Idea

Lt Kije

This idea is in no way finished and is for developing by you. :wink:

The government is printing more money to put into the economy, Why not give it to the pensioners double the old age pension, These people will distribute the money more fairly round the economy than the government. As I said only an idea, for discussion.

:D

Yes but Pensioners have actually contributed to society, ie paid taxes there working life, and as they have the time to spend the money in all shops round town or on a coach trip on a wet weekend out of season, and it would stop them freezing to death in the winter.

Don't want to be an old killjoy but the problem with printing money is that it just increases the UK's national debt...which at sometime has to be paid back and in the meantime is financed by paying interest on it, indeed the interest due this year is greater than the education budget.

But my point is that they shouldn't be printing the money, so whilst I do understand what you are saying, I don't accept the premise. With all this increased national debt, there is a thought that it will lead to further weakening of our currency thereby increasing inflation at a time when the economy is very fragile.

Would it not be simpler, if instead of printing more money; they just increased the tax threshhold, thus taking most pensioners out of tax altogether? :?

You've been warned about coming up with sensible ideas in the past Observer. :wink::)

The tax threshold should be set at whatever the full time minimum wage is....based on a 40 hour week it would be just under ?12,000......currently the personal allowances are:

under 65 ?6,475

65-74 ?9,490

75+ ?9,640