Holidays

wolfie

:wink::D:D:D

Since 1 October 2007 all workers have had a statutory right to at least 4.8 weeks paid annual leave (that's 24 days paid holiday if you work five days a week). From 1 April 2009 this entitlement will increase to 5.6 weeks (28 days).

The basics of holiday rights

There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are:

?you are entitled to a minimum of 4.8 weeks times your usual working week (from 1 October 2007)

?the entitlement will increase to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009

?those working part-time are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so currently 4.8 times your usual working week)

?you start building up holiday as soon as you start work

?your employer can control when you take your holiday

?you get paid your normal pay for your holiday

?when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you?ve not taken

?bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement

?you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave

Not much consolation if you haven't got job though. :(

Knowing how Paul loves to quote newspapers etc..... I found this one:

Civil servants will be able to take bank holidays on the religious days of their choice under moves to introduce "cultural flexitime".

Officials in the education department will be allowed to work from home on statutory days off and take the time owed to mark their own religious traditions.

It means staff will be able to work at home on Christmas Day for the first time this year and swap it for a different religious festival such as Eid or Diwali.

The pioneering arrangements also apply to cultural traditions, meaning a Welsh employee could move a bank holiday to St David's Day.

Staff could also choose to mark St George's Day on April 23.

The Department for Children, Schools and Families, is the first Government department to adopt the policy intended to accommodate the different religions practised among its staff, but others are likely to follow suit.

Some public bodies and firms already offer similar arrangements, such as allowing Christian holidays to be exchanged for festivals from other religions.

The DCSF scheme affects 2,600 civil servants working in London, Darlington, Runcorn and Sheffield.

Staff will be able to switch all eight statutory days off, including Christmas, Easter and secular bank holidays.

For example, Sikhs could choose to take days that mark the birth of the prophet teachers, or, along with Hindus, celebrate Diwali in the autumn.

Muslims could mark Eid-ul-Adha and Ramadan while Jews would be free to take time off at Yom Kippur or Hanukkah.

The arrangements also apply to minority religions such as Baha'i and Zoroastrianism, and staff could ask for time off to mark pagan festivals such as the summer solstice.

Anne Copeland, human resources director at the DCSF, said: "We already have excellent flexible working arrangements in the department but I believe this strengthens them further and takes account of the diverse needs of the workforce.

"If the department continues to show it is committed to valuing its people, meeting their different needs and improving their working environment, then our people will be committed to working harder and going that extra mile to help us deliver the challenging agenda ahead."

She said that advances in technology meant that most of the department's staff could work from home and were therefore not forced to take the day off simply because the office was shut on a bank holiday.

Staff choosing to swap bank holidays for other key dates will not be required to prove that they follow a different faith.

A DCSF spokesman said 10 per cent of the department's staff are from ethnic minorities, a greater proportion than the national average.

He said: "Our new cultural flexitime arrangements have been welcomed by staff - they asked for it.

"As a progressive department, we are more than pleased to meet the request, as we believe it's both good for employees and the business.

"Staff who use this flexibility gain no advantage, in time or cost, over other staff who take UK bank holidays, except to have the flexibility to take time off that is more appropriate to them and their cultural beliefs.

"Line managers would of course ensure the member of staff has enough work to complete off-site."

Last year Muslim leaders used a summit with the then Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly to call for their two main religious festivals - Ramadan and Eid-ul-Adha - to be made public holidays for followers of the faith.

Of the eight bank and public holidays in Britain, three fall on religious days - Christmas Day, Good Friday and Easter Monday.

Isn't life great in the Civil Service when you don't have to deal with the real things in life.... like working for a living or having to generate a profit in order to carry on trading?

Did you also know that:

1 Your employer can control when you take your holidays :shock:

2 bank and public holidays can be included by your employer in your statutory minimum holiday entitlement (it should say in your contract of employment).

I think there are 8 bank/public holidays in England :?

Also by law an employer does not have to allow you time off work on bank holidays and if they do give you the time off, they don't have to pay you (again depending on your contract of employment of course)

3 part time staff also qualify for statutory holiday entitlement but on a pro rata basis.. Some part timers think they are not eligable for some reason :? . So from 1 April it will be 5.5 times your normal working week (its currently times by 4.8) So if you work for 2 days a week you could be entitled to 11 days paid holiday per year ie 2 x 5.5

Anyway the new increase makes no difference to me or my other half but I was bored so I though I'd type all that :lol: Neither of us get paid for bank holidays or any other time off including if we are ill :cry: Never mind I don't really care :lol::P

You must be self employed to then Dis??

I have been trying to find out if I can now change an employees contract to include Bank Holidays in their new 24 day entitlement.

Why should I as an employer have to fund an extra 4 days of non-profit generating expense in the middle of an economic recession?

Baffling! :?

What's even more baffling is that I read Woolfies original comment.. I didn't go on the internet to check any details as I already knew them and I just typed my reply to the original lonesome comment.

Now I have come back and looked again there are LOADS of replies before mine including one from Pauk K that says the same as I put :shock:

How stupid does that make me look :shock::lol::lol:

I have been trying to find out if I can now change an employees contract to include Bank Holidays in their new 24 day entitlement.

Why should I as an employer have to fund an extra 4 days of non-profit generating expense in the middle of an economic recession?

You could always be kind and just let them have their extra days off... or offer them a lot more if they don't play ball :lol::P

I don't know what your area of business is but as far as I am aware employment contracts sort of depends on how many employees you have and also what the exsisting contacts of employment say.

A contact can be be easily changed if both the employer and employee both agree on the changes especially where contractual changes are needed because your business has changed in some way for example, [bthrough economic circumstances[/b] etc :? Alas the way things are going many more businesses are likely to suffer.

Best thing to do is to speak to your employees if you are a small company and explain the problems you may be facing.

I have always found that within small businesses a happy workforce always works harder, pulls together as a team and can even come to compromises over certain things when times are a little tough :D

How stupid does that make me look :shock::lol::lol:

.....answers on a postcard please to Teddington Lock, Middlesex. If you can't remember the name, just put "poster looking stupid" and we'll know who you mean friends!

I'll send a postcard in straight away cos I've just done it again :D

Does anyone know of any jobs going in Warrington that I could apply for as I think I've just been sacked :lol::lol:

You must be self employed to then Dis??

As I understand it, as of April this year the 28 days entitlement includes public holidays.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/ruDetail?r.l1=1073858787&r.l3=1074414642&r.lc=en&type=REGUPDATE&itemId=1081838372&topicType=1&r.l2=1073858926

So if someone was on the minimum of 20 days before all the regulation changes started, but also got public holidays off in addition, then these changes will make absolutely no difference to them whatsoever.

The only people really affected are those whose employers used to insist that public holidays had to come out of their holiday entitlement - many of them ended up only getting 12 days a year that they could use when they wanted.

Wow, I suppose the peasants need to be ever so gratefull - just compare it with the holdays that MPs get, then see whether your still gratefull. :roll::wink:

Observer makes a good point.

Maybe MPs should have to report for "real" community service / voluntary work in their constituency, for a number of weeks that Parliament is in recess.