Rafa's Rant

Jonathan Levy

As an Everton fan, I'd just like to congratulate a certain Rafael Benitez on blowing Liverpool's title hopes, in a major rant against Sir Alex Ferguson. http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1776_4770225,00.html

Everyone knows what he is saying is mostly correct however, I feel his rant could not have come at a worse time and very much shows his lack of ultimate Premiership success.

Doing well in cups and European competition is one thing, but winning the Premiership is another and the latter I feel is something Liverpool won't be experiencing this season. :D

Liverpool this evening drew 0-0 with Stoke City. Despite Benitez's denial, Liverpool were judging by their lifeless performance, undoubtably affected by the comments. However that shouldn't take anything away from Stoke who were very good defensively.

I expect Manchester United will beat Scolari's stuttering Chelsea tomorrow to limit Liverpool's lead at the top of the table. On the matter of Scolari, more and more rumours are coming out about increasing unrest amongst the players. One of the rumours I've read claimed Scolari had initially set strict rules at the club but once the season got underway and they were consistantly winning, the rules were lifted. Since their decline in form though the rules have been put back in place, and the players are furious, allegedly. There is no guarantee that any of the rumours are true but if the above one is then I feel the decision to lift the rules he set was a dreadful one. I'm sure the likes of Ferguson, Paisley, and Shankly would never decide to lift club rules due to consistantly winning. That is the whole point of football is it not? But if reports are true, it took Scolari approximately ten games to lose some of his authority over the players. :roll: Their form then dipped and so he decided to put the rules back in place and in doing so, has infuriated the players, allegedly. Whilst everyone knows the press often make stories up, it would appear to me that in recent times, reports of unrest amongst players at their Manager, usually prove true. I do like Scolari and want him to do well, but if they fail to win the league and fail to win the Champions League, I wouldn't bet against Chelsea having a new Manager come the new season.

Rafa made his statement and it doesn't need adding to by me, the facts speak for themselves.

Stoke did put up a great fight and yes I believe that it had an impact on the teams performance.

Fergy is the master mind game expert and has more experience that any other nanager in the world. No one has yet managed to get the better of him be it Football Managers, Players, Owners, Judges, Politicians etc

It will be interesting tto see the lonterm impact of Rafa letting off steam BUT he dose appear to have a great deal of support and respect, plus Fergie and several other managers were ranting and raving at their weekly press conferences. However they were not as controlled or as meaningful as Rafa. :D

A lot of managers complain about the fixture list. It happens when they are successful with more games to fit than others. IF poo get successful again, they will be moaning as well.

What does make the mind boggle, is that "referees are NOT allowed to be criticised".

WHY NOT?

They are in paid employment and therefore answerable for their actions!!!! :evil:

As an Everton fan, I'd just like to congratulate a certain Rafael Benitez on blowing Liverpool's title hopes, in a major rant against Sir Alex Ferguson. http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1776_4770225,00.html

Everyone knows what he is saying is mostly correct however, I feel his rant could not have come at a worse time and very much shows his lack of ultimate Premiership success.

Doing well in cups and European competition is one thing, but winning the Premiership is another and the latter I feel is something Liverpool won't be experiencing this season. :D

Liverpool this evening drew 0-0 with Stoke City. Despite Benitez's denial, Liverpool were judging by their lifeless performance, undoubtably affected by the comments. However that shouldn't take anything away from Stoke who were very good defensively.

I expect Manchester United will beat Scolari's stuttering Chelsea tomorrow to limit Liverpool's lead at the top of the table. On the matter of Scolari, more and more rumours are coming out about increasing unrest amongst the players. One of the rumours I've read claimed Scolari had initially set strict rules at the club but once the season got underway and they were consistantly winning, the rules were lifted. Since their decline in form though the rules have been put back in place, and the players are furious, allegedly. There is no guarantee that any of the rumours are true but if the above one is then I feel the decision to lift the rules he set was a dreadful one. I'm sure the likes of Ferguson, Paisley, and Shankly would never decide to lift club rules due to consistantly winning. That is the whole point of football is it not? But if reports are true, it took Scolari approximately ten games to lose some of his authority over the players. :roll: Their form then dipped and so he decided to put the rules back in place and in doing so, has infuriated the players, allegedly. Whilst everyone knows the press often make stories up, it would appear to me that in recent times, reports of unrest amongst players at their Manager, usually prove true. I do like Scolari and want him to do well, but if they fail to win the league and fail to win the Champions League, I wouldn't bet against Chelsea having a new Manager come the new season.

0-0 with Stoke means the players were affected by his comments?. Explains the result against Anfield. :wink:

We will/will not win the due to these "mind games", more likely due to the overall quality of our squad and the other teams playing as we know they can.

As for today, we can only hope for a draw :D or a Chelsea win. :)

0-0 with Stoke means the players were affected by his comments?. Explains the result against Anfield.

When did Poo play Anfield? :?:?:wink:

Nothing wrong with what Rafa said, he amongst others have thought that for years, so why come out with it now???

I would suggest it is merely to detract the publicity away from Gerrard's assault case :shock::wink:

Despite bringing European Cup glory back to Anfield and putting the club back at the top of the table I am still not convinced rafa is the best man for the job and still question his managerial style and team selection.

Shanks and Paisley were simply the best and even with Fergie's success he is still miles behind them. Shanks and Paisley revolutionised the English game and the rest will be forever in their shadow.

As far as Rafa goes I wish he would keep his mouth shut and let the players do the talking on the pitch - and pick teams to win games not snuff them out with bore draws! :evil:

I wish I had put a few quid on the stoke result because I predicted it before a ball was kicked once I saw the Liverpool team!

Never mind Gary.

You can now sit back with your feet up and watch the two giants of the Prem. battle it out.

:lol::wink:

Which two giants - United and ??? Don't think any one else is up to it this season. If United hadn't been involved in some meaningless tournaments they would have been top weeks ago! :(

United also have the easiest run in having played all the other big boys away from home - including of course the highlight of the season losing at Anfield! :D

I think that he means the forthcoming Mersyside Derby - the Anfield and Goodison Giants par excellence. :D

I do belive though that Rafa does need a bit more experience in honing his technique but he does have cunning and panash.

Fergies rant last week was red faced (too many glasses of the red stuff) and he expertly deflected and stopped questions by reporters on at least two topics. He controlled the agenda without notes and can make remarks off the cuff.

Like Rafa he is still mastering the English language and does slip in the odd non-anglo expression but as a pensioner he's not doing too badly. Unlike his fellow foreign compatriots he hasn't required xmas surgery to remove stones his is still in his heart when it comes to winning at all costs. :wink:

Cunning and panache, not that he has either, are no match for tactical awareness. He should have played Torres, Keane and Kuyt up front against Stoke and told them to score more than the opposition.

Eagle you are more visionary than RAFA - please apply for his job! :wink::lol:

Cunning and panache, not that he has either, are no match for tactical awareness. He should have played Torres, Keane and Kuyt up front against Stoke and told them to score more than the opposition.

I have been saying this for a while now, he needs to set his team up to go out and beat them rather than the "don't concede, nick a goal mentality. "

I think that he means the forthcoming Mersyside Derby - the Anfield and Goodison Giants par excellence. :D

quote]

Despite the rant no doubt affecting the squad, I stil feel and fear Liverpool will tonight beat Everton. I do feel though that we have a decent chance in the FA Cup game on Saturday.

Tonight?, I think your a week ahead of yourself. :lol:

Shanks and Paisley were simply the best and even with Fergie's success he is still miles behind them.

If we base the statement on 'who is the best' using criteria that Poo fans normally use ie number of trophies won, then there is only one winner and that is Fergie.

Using that same criteria Paisley was far better than Shanks.

However it was Shanks that created a team from nothing and one that Paisley inherited. Paisley achieved the most in the shortest period but Fergie has done it with more than one club.

I will leave it to Poo and manu fans to continue the argument but to say Fergie is miles behind is crazy but something you would expect from a Poo fan.

Shanks and Paisley were simply the best and even with Fergie's success he is still miles behind them.

If we base the statement on 'who is the best' using criteria that Poo fans normally use ie number of trophies won, then there is only one winner and that is Fergie.

Using that same criteria Paisley was far better than Shanks.

However it was Shanks that created a team from nothing and one that Paisley inherited. Paisley achieved the most in the shortest period but Fergie has done it with more than one club.

I will leave it to Poo and manu fans to continue the argument but to say Fergie is miles behind is crazy but something you would expect from a Poo fan.

You have to be slightly crazy to be a Liverpool fan - I spent 20 years of my life enjoying watching a team that won nearly everything before them playing some of the best attacking football ever seen with Toshack and Keegan and then Dalglish and Rush - to be replaced by a team of under achievers for the past 20 years not managing a single league title!

I base my comments on Shanks and Paisley building a team from nothing and the fact it was a lot harder to win the European cup in those days, as you didn't get a second chance if you didn't win a tie.

You also had to be Champions to qualify - and yes I know Liverpool were not Champions when they last won it with a team of no hopers who created the Miracle of Instanbul! :D

quote]

Despite the rant no doubt affecting the squad, I stil feel and fear Liverpool will tonight beat Everton. I do feel though that we have a decent chance in the FA Cup game on Saturday.

I think you'll find I'm not. :roll: Everton play Liverpool at Anfield in the Premiership tonight and then play Liverpool in the FA Cup Fourth Round this weekend.

quote]

I think you'll find I'm not. :roll: Everton play Liverpool at Anfield in the Premiership tonight and then play Liverpool in the FA Cup Fourth Round this weekend.

Forget that comment, I've just realised your right. :oops: We play them a week today as well at the weekend.