Gerrard

Eagle

Looks like a sorry state of affairs - just as Piers Morgan states Gerrard is a perfect role model - mind you how somebody like Piers can make such judgements on people is beyond me!

I will reserve my judgemnent on Gerrard until I can see all the facts - but having said that if it is true he is still in custody so long after the incident it must be pretty serious! :shock:

Usually when this sort of thing happens, unless you are Joey Barton, charges get dropped. Gerrard is supposedly one of the UK's best role models and I personally would be rather surprised if he had actually commited an offence. If he has done though, he should be stripped of his Liverpool captaincy, I somewhat doubt he will be though.

The Times:

"The England footballer Steven Gerrard was charged early this morning with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray following an alleged nightclub brawl, Merseyside police said.

The Liverpool captain was charged with two other men who had also been arrested after a "disturbance? outside a late-night bar in Southport, Merseyside in the early hours of yesterday.

Gerrard, who has 70 caps for his country, was celebrating at the club in Southport when trouble broke out at about 2.30am on Monday.

It is understood that the alleged victim, Marcus McGee, who was a DJ at the club, was sitting behind the bar when Gerrard asked him to change the music. He is then said to have asked for the music card that operates the sound system. Mr McGee apparently refused.

Gerrard and five other men aged between 18 and 33 were arrested after the row. The Liverpool player was released from custody early this morning.

Mr McGee, a father of two who is thought to be a supporter of Liverpool?s great rival, Manchester United, was taken to hospital, where he received treatment for facial injuries before being released. His family said that he suffered a cut nose and swollen eye and was given four stitches. He also lost a tooth. "

The Times:

"The England footballer Steven Gerrard was charged early this morning with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray following an alleged nightclub brawl, Merseyside police said.

The Liverpool captain was charged with two other men who had also been arrested after a "disturbance? outside a late-night bar in Southport, Merseyside in the early hours of yesterday.

Gerrard, who has 70 caps for his country, was celebrating at the club in Southport when trouble broke out at about 2.30am on Monday.

It is understood that the alleged victim, Marcus McGee, who was a DJ at the club, was sitting behind the bar when Gerrard asked him to change the music. He is then said to have asked for the music card that operates the sound system. Mr McGee apparently refused.

Gerrard and five other men aged between 18 and 33 were arrested after the row. The Liverpool player was released from custody early this morning.

Mr McGee, a father of two who is thought to be a supporter of Liverpool?s great rival, Manchester United, was taken to hospital, where he received treatment for facial injuries before being released. His family said that he suffered a cut nose and swollen eye and was given four stitches. He also lost a tooth. "

I may be a little rusty on my journalism law these days but unless there have been some major changes a newspaper is not allowed to report the facts relating to a case once someone has been charged.

While not condoning violence ( and if found guilty Gerrard should punished like anyone else) how on earth can he face a fair hearing when he has already had a trial by TV/newspapers?

:roll: