How daft does it have to get?

observer

"Trying to get some old-fashioned exercise for children is not easy these days.

So Angela and Jack Hylton congratulated themselves on getting all three of theirs to the local swimming pool.

But when they arrived with Jacob, five, Megan, two, and Amelia, eight months, staff would not allow them in, saying two parents couldn't safely supervise three children.

Under new health and safety rules at the pool, children under four needed one-to-one supervision in the water - and officials refused to believe Jacob was five.

By their calculations, the Hyltons needed an adult to accompany each child. The children were bewildered as their parents explained to them they were not allowed in the water.

Yesterday Mrs Hylton, 31, a secondary school teacher, said: "It?s outrageous. I'm very angry about this. It feels like the council are saying we aren't capable of taking care of our own children, which is insulting."

The couple, from Blackley in Greater Manchester, visited the North City Fitness Centre in Harpurhey as a half-term treat."

Daily Mail, where else. :D

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a Friday Rollover with a double helping of daftness:

"Two interpreters who were paid to do nothing for 15 years are suing the Home Office for ruining their careers.

Marti Khan and Odette King are claiming more than ? 1.5million after blundering immigration officials apparently "forgot" they existed.

Mrs Khan, 48, and Mrs King, 57, were paid ?25,000 a year to translate for new arrivals to the country at airports.

But managers failed to reassign them after the Home Office started outsourcing their duties to freelance interpreters in 1990.

The two women continued to turn up to work for 41 hours a week but said they were paid to "do nothing" or given "basic clerical duties" such as filing.

If they had not eventually complained of being underemployed and earning less than freelancers they could have stayed on until it was time to draw their pensions, an employment tribunal heard.

Now taxpayers face a ?2.5million bill after the tribunal ruled they were victims of race and sex discrimination."

"The reputation of the Home Office has been damaged again as it has been revealed that eight staff have been off work on full pay for more than two years.

Another 20 workers have been on paid leave for between 12 months and two years and 26 for between six and 12 months.

Of the eight civil servants off work for more than two years, two are suspended "pending possible disciplinary action" while another is being paid to stay at home while an "ongoing grievance" is resolved. Another four have been off pending "the resolution" of internal procedures. The last one has been off while "adjustments" are made to enable them to return."

Daily Mail

Its just become a triple helping, the following is not only daft but disgraceful, when on earth are we going to stop paying people for failure: :x

"Two senior HSBC bankers who were dismissed yesterday for their connection to the bank?s catastrophic foray into high-risk US mortgages had been paid $40 million (?20 million) in performance-related bonuses. In a revelation likely to spark shareholder concern over rewards for failure, the two are also set to receive at least $2 million more in compensation for loss of office.

Yesterday HSBC ousted Bobby Mehta, the chief executive of HSBC North America, and Sandy Derickson, the chief executive of HSBC Bank USA. The departures come only two weeks after HSBC was forced to issue the first profit warning in its 142-year history because of a sudden $1.8 billion blowout in sour loans to Americans with poor credit records. Mr Mehta ran the whole of HSBC in North America and was one of the eight most senior executives at HSBC, sitting on the group management board.

In 2005, the most recent year for which figures are available, he received $11 million in bonus shares, $3 million in a cash bonus and $1.3 million in other pay. In the two years before that he received $21.8 million."

Independent

"Good job" that banks make ? billions of profit to pay for this sort of nonsense :x

[ 23.02.2007, 08:08: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

"A have-a-go hero who stopped a bike thief from escaping has slammed police after she was arrested and thrown in a filthy cell for ten hours.

Public spirited Wendy Challis-Jones, 39, has hit out at her "ill treatment" after she was arrested on suspicion of assault after pulling a young thug from a bicycle he had just stolen.

Brave Wendy, who has received two glittering police awards in the past for her work as a traffic warden and store detective, was driving through York, North Yorks., when she spotted a man chasing the teenage hoodie who had stolen his bicycle.

Through instinct Wendy sped off in hot pursuit, pulled her car over in front of the thief's exit route before pulling him the stolen bike.

But she then found herself in hot water when she was arrested on suspicion of assault and thrown in a police cell.

Outraged Wendy, from York, said: "I had got the bike back when I heard a frightening aggressive voice shout 'you stop there, don't move'. I turned to see a police officer, who arrested me on suspicion of assault.

"I couldn't believe it. I then spent ten hours in a filthy police cell with food smeared on the walls and an open toilet with no flush.

"I had my fingerprints taken, DNA, mugshots, they even took my jewellery and shoes away. My emotions were just of humiliation. I even began to doubt myself.

"I spent four hours crying thinking I was going to prison.

"It was six hours before I was interviewed and then another four before I was finally released with no further action to be taken."

Shocked Wendy is the proud owner of two Divisional Police Recommendations for arresting potentially violent criminals, during two decades sterling service as a store detective and traffic warden.

She said: "I have worked side by side with the police for 20 years. I have the two police recommendations and have a lot of respect for the work they do, but this is not right. I have spoken out because I want to stop this happening to anyone else."

The bike thief was arrested and charged with theft after the incident on Shipton Road, York.

Insp Nigel Slater of North Yorkshire Police said: "I can confirm she was arrested on suspicion of assault. It appears she was assisting in detaining a youth involved in the theft of a pedal cycle.

"But independent witnesses at the scene said she had mounted the kerb, stopped the car and then punched the individual.

"It transpires that she was concerned he was going to strike her but we had to look at the full facts and that was why no charges were brought.

"We are grateful to her for challenging the youth but I would warn the public that they must be wary about only using reasonable force.

"We had to interview witnesses and were very busy that day, but we do apologise.

"She did a good deed but we had to investigate the independent witnesses. We do not want to put people off helping the police." "

Daily Mail

The above is not just daft it is frankly bloody disgraceful, and what is more I bet you all her details and DNA are now being kept on record.

Always worth remembering though that the police can shoot dead an innocent Brazilian and nothing is done, in fact some of those involved have since been promoted.

What a daft and crazy world we live in.

Having watched COPS on Tv ,they do not seem to have all these problems when going after their man,comps in their police cars,good back ups,my friends only have to ring 911 and the police are there in seconds,maybe a rethink is needed and get the men back on the beat and out of the cars for starters.

I for one would feel more secure seeing their presence and why are the police stations locked in the day time?

Heaven forbid I am being attacked and need to get in the police station,who's protecting who I ask myself.

"Millions of motorists will pay more for petrol this week in the wake of the tainted fuel chaos.

Wholesale prices have surged as Asda, Tesco and Morrisons seek new supplies to replace the petrol which put thousands of cars out of action.

Oil giants have been accused of cashing in with instant rises at the pumps of up to 3p a litre (14p a gallon).

It means motorists throughout the country are paying for a problem which mostly affected the South-East of England. The AA said they should be rightly furious if they were 'being rippedoff through profiteering' by the oil companies."

Daily Mail

It will be interesting to see if diesel, which was not affected will also rise in price, traditionally it is 3p or 4p more than petrol :wink:

my contribution to this thread has GOT to be blackpool council- all bin conspiracy theorists take note:

http://nupo.org/

(pensioner living in a seaside resort threatened by council for dumping sand BACK onto a beach under fly-tipping legislation)

and if thats not enough....

http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=62&ArticleID=2056344

(unemployed mum of 3 threatened by same coastal council for not cleaning up rubbish dumped by others in her garden)

Bear this in mind if you live in a school....

"Investors are taking millions of pounds from taxpayers by buying cheap land and claiming agricultural subsidies from the EU.

The so-called 'City farmers' can make more than 30 per cent profit a year without setting foot on their land thanks to a loophole in the rules.

Buying or leasing land makes them farmers in the eyes of the EU, enabling them to take advantage of massive handouts."

:x

How city tycoons claim they are farmers to milk the EU's millions

Glad to see the police have got their priorities right. :(

"When police received allegations of racism, their reaction was impressively swift.

They swooped on the premises in question and seized a pair of suspects for further examination.

Questioning them was not an option, however - for the two alleged culprits were both rag dolls.

The alleged crime was that they were designed in the style of a golliwog, and a visitor to the store where they were on sale had complained to police."

Daily Mail

Obs - sounds like codswallop to me, but hey, what do I know.

Anyway, here's a proper one, with a link:

Trio must pay for prison 'board'

"Three men who spent years in jail after being wrongly convicted of murder will have to pay for their prison board and lodgings, Law Lords have ruled."

BBC News

Is there no limit to the arrogance of this administration?

On the upside, if you're guilty, you get your board and lodging for free.

Originally posted by willywonka:

Obs - sounds like codswallop to me, but hey, what do I know.

Anyway, here's a proper one, with a link:

Trio must pay for prison 'board'

"Three men who spent years in jail after being wrongly convicted of murder will have to pay for their prison board and lodgings, Law Lords have ruled."

BBC News

Is there no limit to the arrogance of this administration?

On the upside, if you're guilty, you get your board and lodging for free.

I guess the reason they have done it is to offset the compensation that the men will rightfully be paid. This type of case is not unusual. It is the petty mindedness of it all.