Forward going backward ??

tonymaillman

Originally posted by Peter:

My personal view is that the more advanced we become technically, the more backward we become.

Could our children live through a three day week or fight a war like www2?

We are just not prepared for disasters.

WHY NOT?

I think yes - it is our generation that has become pessimistic - how many of us fought in WW2 probably NONE - so who are we to make that judgment on the young - you'd be surprised how resilient they are when really challenged - after all they can certainly can do good and very bad things when they want. :wink:

[ 09.01.2008, 06:56: Message edited by: Student Geoff ]

Geoff I agree - it is easy to make a blanket assessment of a group and I was being tongue in cheek when I stated about the Ancient Egyptians and Romans.

But having said that our western society has become lax and more and more self centered. Things are handed to us, many do not have to work very hard to get what they want, let alone need. The hands on workmanship is going and almost gone in our countries - we import an awful lot of things.

But - kids are resilient and can amaze us in positive ways when we least expect it.

I'm glad you stated that the Ancient Egyptian and Roman reference was tongue in cheek ........ there's never been a civilization since them who are even a close comparison.

Student Geoff (whoever you are) - none of us reach the pinnacle of where we want to be without hard work and perseverence, I think that goes without saying :roll: ........ and YEARS of hard work might I add !!

Basic everyday skills of yesteryear are rapidly disappearing simply because this 'so called' advancement of today is making a society that will eventually be idle, and where normal lateral thinking will not be needed. Is that advancement ???? maybe I'm too old and wise.

Originally posted by tonymailman:

Basic everyday skills of yesteryear are rapidly disappearing simply because this 'so called' advancement of today is making a society that will eventually be idle, and where normal lateral thinking will not be needed. Is that advancement ???? maybe I'm too old and wise.

Advancement??? maybe-maybe not...but the way we are going it is inevitable. What will it be like when we "advance" to the state of just "existing" with no sense of purpose or need of thinking? I do not want to be here to find out.

and don?t forget the chestnuts on the shovel. How many times did that piece of paper catch alight when you had to draw the fire up. The fire got that hot we had chilblains.

Ice on the inside of the windows. Snuggled up in bed with dad?s wartime RAF greatcoat as an extra blanket. Not so many germs in them days.

I was about 7 or 8 when I first leant how to mend my own shoes, and everyone boys or girls learnt basic cooking skills off their parents. Good moral fibre.

Has anyone still got the plans for making a go cart, silver cross pram wheels were the best for the back, not sure what we used for the front, the building site were also an attraction for getting the right wood and nails. ?Hey mister can you ??.. ? the workmen were quite good. Apart from when things were not going well, I didn?t know they were swear words then, when I told Mum what he said I soon found out ~ carbolic soap does not taste nice.

What a life of fun and happiness, every day was play day.

• 2 weeks later...