Energy saving devices

Bill

I just clicked on one of the adds on here just to see what it was. See this 

It turned out to be a wastewater heat recovery system, sort of a reverse radiator that fits under a shower tray to preheat the cold water. It said it could recover half the heat back into the system thus reducing the amount of energy needed in the first place.

Sounds like a good idea but at £610.80 just for the part, I think you’d need to have a lot of showers to get your money back. From what I can work out, we spend on average about 40p worth of gas per week showering, so potentially we’d save 20p per week and at that rate, it’d take nearly 60 years just to cover the cost of the part.

Also I think anyone who’s daft enough to install one of these will probably spend more time in the shower thinking it’s not costing as much and so that would probably cancel out any benefits.

Bill 😊

usually the price range is between £500.00 to £4000.00 for a mobility scooter, a lot depends on what type you want and what sort of range

try the warrington disabilty partnership if you only need one for a short while they may do a rental scheme or have a second hand one at a cheaper price.

plenty of places to compare prices on them you just need to have a look at some of the ads on here, chums for instance.

it was the electric vehicles for seniors ad i was looking either the orange one or the three wheeled white one. the one that says "the price will surprise you" it certainly did. yes cheap compared to a standard an electric car but dear compared an electric scooter. the range is greater as is the top speed and you are closed off from the elements but basically just a local runabout, which is all a mobility scooter is.

it was more out of curiosity than anything else.

If like me you don’t need to get out that often and don’t travel that far, it might be cheaper to consider using a local taxi service than paying for a private vehicle. I know I was surprised when I added up all the costs of owning my own car over time. Even though mine’s 18 years old, the repair bills were almost as much as the depreciation of a new car. Think the average person apparently spends about £3,500 a year (£67 per week) to drive a car and that’d equate to a lot of taxi journeys.

Bill 😊

Yes but that’s normally because most people don’t appreciate how taxi companies work. I’ve worked in the taxi business for many years and know that there are some excellent well-run companies out there but unfortunately there’s also a lot that just don’t care enough about the service they provide.

The key to getting a car on time is to prebook it well in advance rather than at the last minute and that way the computer should assign you a higher priority. It’s also possible if you’re a fairly regular user, to set up an account either as prepaid or pay monthly and doing this gives you an even higher priority. Just ring up and ask for a car as soon as possible though and you’re in the lap of the gods and right at the back of the queue.

Bill 😊