Chat Bots ?

Observer II

In our brave new world of AI, it seems we now have computer generated opinion on the internet.   Like all computers, they rely on input data for their output, so with them  copying much of the opinion of the regular twitterarty , the tendency is for them to adopt a woke liberal bias rather than independent and objective one.  They are now being used on dating sites, to fool folk into paying to talk to them.     :rolleyes:

the voice of the machine has come a long way from the stilted speech of the science fiction era of the fifties.

the only time people talk to me is when they want something usually and that goes for mrs sid as well.

so opinionated AI is probably a good thing if you are lonely or bored.

mind you if you were of that mind you could have quite some fun with their input.....🤔

I encountered a chatbot last week while trying to inform my home insurance provider that my debit card number had changed. Their landline was going unanswered and however I phrased my typed query, the not so intelligent AI (Tracy) was clearly just picking up on the word “change” and repeatedly telling me to ring the landline. ☹

I’ve also come across them on Facebook where chatbots posing as a real person start replying in context to all the comments. Nothing really malicious and probably just some bored programmer having a bit of AI fun, but it was enough to draw people into some heated arguments.

Bill 😊

Well, the likes of Elon Musk is warning us about AI, and he's in the business of making money from it.   If and when AI becomes so advanced and sophisticated, and we become reliant on it, it will have the opportunity to exploit our dependency on it and at some time in the future realise it's superiority and render humanity surplus to requirements.    As for getting some kind of global ethical control over it's development, alas various nations will have their own political agendas for pursuing their own development of AI, be it greater State or Corporate control of their populations.   💀

I don’t think we’re going to reach the sci-fi levels of AI any time soon but in terms of the technology becoming “so advanced and sophisticated, that we become reliant on it”, well that’s certainly already the case.

It’s easy to get drawn into thinking that all AI is big brother like but the reality is that artificial intelligence is built into most of the items we use on a day to day basis. A washing machine contains the intelligence to work out the best way to wash cloths at the press of a button. It could be made to spy on us I suppose, but I doubt it would ever do anything like deliberately shrink your woolly jumper. 😊

In the event of something like a colossal solar flare, emp burst or alien attack, it’s possible we could not only loose our washing machine but also GPS and communication satellites and those two items alone would cause absolute chaos in the developed areas of the world.

Better get my smalls done sooner rather than later, just in case. 😊

Bill 😊

• 1 month later...

Well. it seems a top computer scientist doesn't share your complacency Bill;  as he's just left Google warning of the threat that AI presents.   As with most new technology, the earliest exploitation of new technology is by criminals, with IT scams now counting for 40% of crime.    :rolleyes:

skynet looms ever closer.

about the only time i interact with an actual human being is when i go to the shop,the rest of the time it is usually automated services and that includes the doctors surgery.

"Press 1 if you know what disease you have"

"press 2 if you are currently dying, if you have died please hang up."

"press 3 to hear these options again"

I don’t think I’m being complacent Obs, I just don’t believe the technology is capable of becoming self-aware to the point where it becomes vindictive and deliberately tries to harm us, that’s just science fiction. There’s a lot of good AI that benefits humanity as a whole but there’s always going to be those that’ll try to use it for their own ends and that’s where Mr Hinton see’s the risk.

Bill 😊

i have every confidence that the yanks will save the day if or when it goes bad.

they won the second world war, at least john wayne did, but he had help from a few of his pals.

they have managed to see off every alien threat ,even Godzilla and at least two terminators from the future.....:rolleyes:

the big problem these days is that seeing is no longer believing when it comes to what is shown in the various media platforms and now with voice pattern playing a big part then what you hear is also suspect or more so than it usually is.

villains will nearly always have the best for their scams and such as they can afford to invest in the latest technology and have no compunction about using it to their advantage leaving the "good guy" lagging behind and racing to catch up.

Oh well must check the tv listings, i am sure there is a terminator sequel on  one of the channels later.....🛸