Switch off lights ?

Observer II

The idea behind it is to generate footfall in the town centre and so boost the local economy.

that is the only logic that the council look at. more people in town means a greater revenue in parking fees and also keeps businesses going thus generating revenue from council tax.

I thought we had plenty of solar power to call on to power the Christmas lights, we've invested in enough........:rolleyes:

A lot of people are feeling a bit depressed with all the problems of life these days so I say make the tree bigger and brighter than ever and bring a bit of Christmas cheer to everyone. From an energy perspective, if it gets people out of their houses for a while then their not going to be using any power there so it's roundabouts and swings.

Bill :) 

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

So folk will prefer to go out into the freezing cold to look at a lighted tree, rather than keeping warm and snug at home ?   I'm sure those that can't afford to heat their homes or don't have a home, will probably use the local library to keep warm.   :rolleyes:

Only if this shower of a Council keep the libraries open.

• Haha 1

Just thinkg about this again and how much power it might take thses days using modern led lights. I'd have thought that the main tree lights in town wouldn't take much more than 100W, so that's only as much as a single old style filament bulb. 

Blackpool illuminations have changed to led lights and only burn £0.3 million pounds worth of electricity but they bring in an additional £300 million in visitor spending. Lighting up Warrintons tree for a month would cost about a tenner so it wouln't need much more than a handfull of people to turn that into a benefit for the town.

Bill :)