Keeping warm this Winter ?

Observer II

Seems the Met Office is forecasting a particularly cold Winter,  so there's now a run on home insulation advice and hacks.   But apparently some are already trying to save on fuel bills by turning off their home heating and resorting to some dangerous alternatives - EG.  One man started a coal fire in a bucket, which was placed inside his home;  but was taken to hospital with carbon-monoxide poisoning.   Despite the cold, experts are still recommending that through ventilation should be maintained within homes, to maintain virus free and fresh air.    💀

be digging the thermals out soon along with the winter bike leathers, just in case.

always leave the bedroom window open slightly and with the vent in the bathroom plus both chimney flues have plenty of ventilation, a bit too much when the wind gets up.

not really much bothered by cold weather, apart from when it snows and it gets treacherous underfoot. being a biker tends to toughen you up especially when you have ridden six miles in the snow and frost to get to work and then spent ten minutes trying to get your hands warm enough to remove your gloves....🤣

did notice that a lot of shops seem to be short of stock on hot water bottles recently as well as those snuggle blankets. my niece mentioned it as she was going to buy some for Christmas presents.

I think it's easier for us blokes as we don't mind looking like we're on a long trip to the frozen north whereas women don't appreciate that look. Even before all the problems, my mate would always wear all his gear and be determined never to turn the heating on until November. We've been lucky with the weather so far this year and I just hope we can get through the winter without it getting too bad.

Bill :)

• 2 weeks later...

That applies to second homes as well.

Hands up anybody who is surprised by this.......I'll wait.

Not to mention the cost of heating the parliamentary building, which would probably pay for several towns over a year let alone houses.

If anything this pandemic has proved that working from home is a viable option, especially for MP's, so is there any need for them to travel to the big city claiming expenses and first class travel.

• Upvote 1

I believe it applies only to their second homes which are supported only for MPs with constituencies outside London. Voting in divisions of the House of Commons must include physical presence as electronic voting is not used any more. Pairing will be difficult with the current grand-standing, lying bunch we have at present since the will changing their public intentions every five minutes and making a pairing means making a decision in advance and sticking to it!

possible scenario then:- MP from a constituency just this side of the Scottish border. Needs to be present at a vote in London.

Hops on train, first class all the way down to London.

Gets off train and ubers to his second residence.

Quick wash and brush up then off to houses of parliament via the uber again.

Into the restaurant for a slap up meal and few glasses of claret.

Go to the relevant place to vote, arriving five minutes before the important questions are asked. "all those in favour"......."all those against"...."abstentions". puts hand up at appropriate time.

Back to the bar for a couple of single malts then back to the second residence, via uber, to pick up his bag.

Uber to the station in time to catch the train home again, fist class of course.

Spend the rest of the journey filing in expenses form so they don't miss I'm a celebrity when they get in.

Best part of £2000 claimed.

But of course these things don't happen in real life do they?

• Haha 1

The wife says "I'm cold, turn the heating up and make a cuppa."

I say "There's no milk,  nip to the Co-Op while the room warms up"

She gets back and says "That's better, it's nice and warm in here now."

The thing is, I forgot to turn the heating up! :)

• Haha 1

with mrs sid i am beginning to sound like larry grayson.

"shut that door"  it is not much but when the only room with heating is the one next to the kitchen then it soon has the boiler going full blast if it is left open.

her other habit is to stand at the front door talking to the neighbours or whomever is walking past. both doors wide open again and then complain that it is cold out. "well don't go out then" is all i reply.

as for me if i am feeling cold i will just chuck another jumper on or a thicker pair of socks.

My PC is telling me its only 8 or 9 degrees outside at the moment but I'm sitting here feeling toastie. No heating on at all at the moment so my thermals and wooly jumper must be working well. When I built the extension I went a bit OTT with the insulation but I'm glad I did because it's all open plan here and the extensin makes up 50% of our normal living area. The house was built in the 60s and we don't have any cavity wall stuff in the rest of the house but it dosn't really get too cold.