Crazy or what ?

Observer II

Seems the Irish Gov is offering £4K to farmers to kill their cows, thus reducing their methane footprint;  similar attacks on farmers and thus food production in Holland;  at a time of increasing threat of increasing food prices;  may make you wonder - is there insanity bug built into this green agenda ?    :rolleyes:

Where on earth do you find these crazy stories Obs? The only thing I can find on the subject is that farmers along with all sectors of business and industry have been given targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions of both methane and Co2. Can’t argue that killing off some cows would help slightly but it’s a bit extreme when you consider all the other sources on farms.

Then again, it could be that they just have too many cattle for a market where sales of red meat have been rapidly declining in recent years. You only have to walk round the supermarket to realize there’s more plant-based alternatives on the shelves than actual meat products so maybe they’d be better off growing veggie burgers. 😊

Bill 😊

Bill, It was a Youtube pod of Farage on GB News.  If animal flatulance is an issue, then it applies to ALL animals, which includes humans, so perhaps anyone who farts will be terminated ?    Protein (meat) feeds the brain, which explains why these veggie liberal types are coming up with these mad cap ideas.   :rolleyes:

Having recently tried some of the plant based alternatives, they still have a way to go to replace the meat based product as regards flavour. in my opinion anyhow.

Did see something not too long back where some clever scientist or other had 3D printed a steak. can't remember if it was plant based or meat based but they claimed the texture was just like beef from a cow.

so maybe the future for farmers is industrial sized 3D printers...🤔

Some of the plant-based stuff isn’t bad provided you don’t try to make too much of the comparison with its meat alternative. A beefburger tastes like a beefburger but not quite the same as a veggie burger while a veggie burger tastes like a veggie burger and it’s a bit like a beefburger. Get your had into thinking this way and like me you might find you prefer some of it.

I like plain old cheap Birdseye burgers. I also like Linda McCartney veggie burgers. They’re not the same and don’t taste anything like one another so saying ones better than another is like saying a sausage butty is better than a bowl of cornflakes.

I recently had a jackfruit curry (whatever jackfruit is) and it was excellent. It was a bit like pulled pork, but it was sold as jackfruit. If it was sold as a pulled pork alternative, I may have been disappointed.

Bill 😊