Old Bottles.

Wingnut

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the late reply, but I've only just found your posting whilst doing some research for my family tree. I am related to the Boltons, on my mothers side. I would be interested in hearing about any more info that anyone may have concerning the Bolton Brothers Brewery.

Here is what I know so far:

Thomas Bolton, who was born in Widnes in 1788, ran a pub on Mersey Street called the Moulders Arms. It looks like he took over the running of the pub after the death of his father-in-law, William Grainger. On Thomas' death in 1873, his own son, Herbert Thomas Bolton took over the running of the pub. Herbert had 10 brothers, three of whom never married and continued to live with Herbert at the pub. His brother Sidney, was the brewer, and he died in 1883.

I would like to know who carried on the brewery after the death of the brothers as, according to the 1901 census Herbert and the brothers who lived with him never married.

Is there a date on the bottle by any chance?

it must have been around where the jobcentre is now as the road between the jobcentre and the multi storey car park is moulders lane, which is where i thought the moulders arms was.

can remember my late father mentioning it many years back but cannot remember if he mentioned whether it was demolished or renamed. as i remember it we were going into the multistorey and he remarked on the name of the lane and the pub.

Hello Loraine.

That's very interesting information about your family tree. I found that very interesting. I dug the bottle up on Victoria Park allotments about 20 years ago, which must be almost opposite the job centre where the pub was.

There is no actual date on the bottle, but there is a registation number or something -; 9205 C.S & Co LD. It would be good to know what those initials stood for if anybody knows.

If you would like the bottle for a keepsake, then p.m me and we can make arrangements for getting it to you.

Good groundwork Sid.

Watch out Indy, and I didn't even use a metal detector :wink:

Wingnut / Sid

Thank you both very much for your information and I would love to have the bottle as a keep sake. I will PM you with my details.

I have done some research and believe it or not I have found a website that lists the Glass Factory Marks on bottles.

C.S.& Co. LTD Are the marks of a glass making factory called Cannington, Shaw & Co. Limited, St. Helens. They traded from 1875-1913 and made bottles for quite a few breweries.

Wingnut... Is that all it says on the bottle ie:

9205 C.S & Co LD and Brown Brothers ?? What colour is it (don't even know why I'm asking that)

I'm intrigued now :D:?:lol: ... and welcome to the forum Lorraine1620. Must be great fun tracing your family tree and good luck with it. :D

William Bolton seems to have taken over the pub some time after the names/dates you have as William Bolton is listed on the 1895 Slater's Directory of Warrington for Moulders Arms. He is also listed in the same year for the Royal Exchange Inn Golden Square

Interestingly though there were also two? glass manufacturer listed in Warrington around the same times having the name of Bolton (William H and also Bolton Edward and Sons ) see below for more info.

Don't know much about local breweries but maybe the different businesses were related or family run in some way? ie the glass makers made the bottles for the brewers to put their beer in and sell in their own pub. The glass makers are however also listed on other sites which deal with more ornate pieces of glassware specifically 'pressed' glass... maybe they made beer bottles in their spare time :wink::lol:

Like EvilSid said though Bolton Brothers of 38 Mersey Street. is listed as being acquired by Greenall Whitley & Co Ltd November 1931. (although they are listed in 1871 as being at number 29 Mersey Street??)

Anyway like I said I've had a little look around and found the following info.. probably no use but it kept me quiet for a while :lol:

Listed on 1871 Worrall's Directory of Warrington - Classification of Trades, Professions &C?

http://cheshiredirectories.manuscripteye.com/pdf/1871/03/section.pdf

Brewers - Bolton, Thomas ? Mersey Street

Inns and Public Houses ? Moulders Arms ? Thomas Bolton ? 29 Mersey Street

also found Bolton Brothers Brewers ? 38 Moulders Arms ? William Bolton

Listed on 1895 Slater's Directory of Warrington, Widnes & St Helens - Directory of Warrington

http://cheshiredirectories.manuscripteye.com/pdf/1895/02/index.htm

Orford Lane (number not legible) - Bolton, Edward and Sons ? Glass Manufacturer

Bolton Bros ? Ale and Porters Brewers ? 38 Mersey Street

Bolton Edward and Sons ? Glass Manufactures ? Orford Lane T/A ?Glass, Warrington?

Bolton, William ? Moulders Arms Inn ? 38 Mersey Street

Bolton, William ? Royal Exchange Inn ? Golden Square

Bolton, William H ? Glass Manufacturer ? E Bolton & Sons Bewsey Street

Cheshire County Council - 1902 and 1910 Kelly's Directory of Cheshire - Private Residents

Both shows a William Bolton living on Greenalls Avenue, Latchford Warrington

Dismayed.

Yes that is all it says.

It is a green bottle.

Then it says Bolton Bros (in an arc)

Then a large double B one B inside the other.

Then underneath -: Mersey Street.

Finally underneath that, Warrington (in arced writing)

It has a thread for a screw top.

The numbers are on the bottom of the bottle.

Dismayed.

Yes that is all it says.

It is a green bottle.

Then it says Bolton Bros (in an arc)

Then a large double B one B inside the other.

Then underneath -: Mersey Street.

Finally underneath that, Warrington (in arced writing)

It has a thread for a screw top.

The numbers are on the bottom of the bottle.

Sounds like a story we could do about someone being re-united with their family history thanks to a little green bottle dug up on a Warrington allotnment by a warrington-worldwide reader! :D

I know a song about a green bottle. Eeeer, well ten of them actually. I used to sing it counting backwards from one hundred.

How it came about was that the bride once said to me in bed, talk to me, the sound of your voice sends me to sleep. So I said I'll sing to you instead. so the song started. One hundred green bottles hanging on a wall. All the way back to no green bottles hanging on a wall.

I don't know who was the most fatigued, me or the bride.

Once I started I couldn't stop. It was a matter of principle you see. :D

William Bolton seems to have taken over the pub some time after the names/dates you have as William Bolton is listed on the 1895 Slater's Directory of Warrington for Moulders Arms. He is also listed in the same year for the Royal Exchange Inn Golden Square

Dismayed - There were actually two William Bolton's, and just to confuse matters, both of them were born in Warrington around 1852.

The William Bolton who was the owner of Boltons Brothers Brewery, was the brother of the Boltons who ran the brewery at the Moulders Arms on Mersey Street. (The census sometimes records the address of the Moulders as number 29 for one year, then the following year as number 38 - confusing, eh?).

This William Bolton actually went onto become the Mayor of Warrington between 1903 and 1906. He was also an Alderman and JP in Warrington and was famed for his fantastic orchid collection. He was a Fellow of the Horticutural Society and a member of the "Gilbert Grenall Lodge", which was started by the founder of the Greenall Brewery. He died in 1921.

The other William Bolton, who ran the Royal Exchange Inn, was a cousin of the other William Bolton. I am still researching his lineage, but I do know that he died in 1900 at the age of 48 of cirrhosis of the liver.

Lorraine

Interesting thanks Lorraine....

Once you mentioned the 'Mayor' the name suddenly became familiar so I went for a stroll tonight.... knew I'd seen it somewhere :D

Here is William Bolton's grave (although I guess you already know where it is). It also is the resting place for a Sidney Bolton JP who was also the Mayor of Warrington at a later date along with other family members including some very young infants :cry:

DSC02268.jpg

Please don't do that Wingy... I'm supposed to be working :shock:

Is it like this one for EDDOWES AND CO,WARRINGTON - Ginger Beer ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EDDOWES-AND-CO,WARRINGTON_W0QQitemZ140337265533QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090803?IMSfp=TL090803142001r34047

You'll never get rich digging up old bottles from the looks of it though :lol::P

Beer anyone... Yes please :lol:

As for Sloanes Linament... can only find references from USA.. but I have only googled it once.... Is it like this bottle ?

http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,1448509.html#

Ooooh I have to go old grumpy guts just told me off :oops::lol:

The Eddowes bottles are clear glass

The Sloans one is embossed writing but does not have USA on it.

Oh, and a nice little perfume bottle (I think) from when they drained Ackers last year.

Amongst other items I have found are clay pipes, brown stone sinks, A stone locket with a message of love on it which could just about be made out. It must have been in the river for years. I only hope the wench wasn't still attatched to it, when she? threw it in the river from a bridge in the Lake District.

Now that would be interesting if we could find out the story behind that one.

Dismayed - Thanks for posting the photo of Mayor William Boltons grave. Can you tell me where the grave is. I am not too familiar with Warrington, as I live in the Lake District, but I am planning on visiting Warrington soon.

Is Sidney Bolton's grave alongside Mayor William Bolton's grave? I wonder if he is also related? Time for some more investigation I think. :D

Wingnut - how do you know that bracelet was thrown in the river in the Lake District? Or was that a joke?

Lorraine

I found the necklace thing in the river by the bridge where Ulswater begins. Is it Edistow bridge?

The river was low at the time, and I was skimming stones with my lads. I picked this nice flat stone up, about the size of an old half penny. That's when I just about noticed the engraving on it. There is also a rusty spot at one end of the stone, where a chain must have gone through it.

It's only my imagination that says, maybe it was a lovers tiff that the necklace got thrown into the river. How else could it have got there?

The engraving says (I Love You)