Boosters

Bill

According to the news, covid cases are back on the rise again and my question is what’s happening with the booster scheme these days?

I thought boosters were being given routinely every six months especially for us oldies, but it’s been nearly eight months since my last one and from what I can see you can’t get one unless you’re over 75 and that’s been the case for several months.

Bill 😊

The JCVI have given notice that there will be an Autumn booster for over 65's but I do not believe that they have decided which strain it will be targeted at. That probably means it will be an MRNA vaccine but there is a new AZ version too. I guess it is a complex decision based on production capability , quantity and speed. For those under 75 the background protection of the previous booster is expected to last to 12 months after the second dose. There has been no decision published about under 65s. Dpes that help?

Yes, thanks for that. I’m not particularly worried, it’s just that I was expecting to have been done again before now and what’s more, I Googled and couldn’t find any info on what was happening. I was thinking if things start to peak again as we go towards the winter it might end up being another mad rush to get all the people protected.

Bill 😊

Well, it seems most folk have now discarded their masks and any thoughts or fears of another virus outbreak;  so if it does come back, it will no doubt result in disruption and panic again.  😷    Had my booster last week by my GP; who doesn't seem to have notified the national scheme who are still sending me letters.  :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

I watched some cringing reports on UK news the other day where the guests were pulling the establishment to pieces over the handling of the pandemic. Most public opinion goes along the lines that the UK did a good job, but this lot were demanding resignations and punishments for virtually all the medical experts and political decision makers.  

Anyone with the benefit of hindsight could argue things could have been done differently but unless there’s concrete evidence that the public were lied to and deliberately misled then they’ll be seen as nothing more than a load of political stirrers. I don’t think it’ll be long now before the reviews on how the event was handled gets started. It’ll be the usual months of political name calling that’ll achieve nothing and get the country nowhere.

Bill 😊

Good point Sid,   just before the pandemic, Jerramy Hunt ran an NHS exercise on a pandemic scenario, it obviously didn't prepare us for the real thing  and I doubt we'll be prepared for the next one either; except perhaps for not having lock downs and going for herd immunity, with even higher death tolls.     😷