Care Workers

Bill

Does anyone here have any sympathy for the care workers who by the end of the day will be out of a job for refusing the vaccine?

I know there are some for who the decision goes against some weird tradition or religious belief, but I think most of the refusers would claim their human rights are being violated. The world (and especially the west) seems to have more than its fair share of people who just don’t like being told what they should and shouldn’t do.

Bill 😊

45 minutes ago, Bill said:

Does anyone here have any sympathy for the care workers who by the end of the day will be out of a job for refusing the vaccine?

I know there are some for who the decision goes against some weird tradition or religious belief, but I think most of the refusers would claim their human rights are being violated. The world (and especially the west) seems to have more than its fair share of people who just don’t like being told what they should and shouldn’t do.

Bill 😊

None at all. They have a duty of care to their residents who have no choice over the staff that care for them. The care home owners do not want to breach the law and become liable for Covid deaths so the unvaccinated staff who think it can just be their own choice are delusional,

• Upvote 2

Whilst I agree with Con; I am puzzled by the reliance on vaccines to prevent spread.  As I understand it, the vax will provide resistance to the virus, such that it doesn't severely affect you; but it doesn't stop you catching or spreading the virus.   We're now being told that it's effects wear off after six months, so I guess regular jabs will become the order of the day.   😷

36 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Whilst I agree with Con; I am puzzled by the reliance on vaccines to prevent spread.  As I understand it, the vax will provide resistance to the virus, such that it doesn't severely affect you; but it doesn't stop you catching or spreading the virus.   We're now being told that it's effects wear off after six months, so I guess regular jabs will become the order of the day.   😷

The future path of the outbreak is not at all obvious even to the experts in Sage making their predictions. Obviously I don't know any better either. No one knows yet what the efficacy of 2 doses of A-Z +Pfizer/Moderna booster will be or what the endemic cases rates will be in six or 12 months time. They also do not yet know what to do about what to institute as a regime for Covid in children. It would be very strange to treat the the next generation as immune to Covid and not vaccinate children but let them maintain the endemic levels of disease at a high level. The world of public health doesn't yet understand and will tell us when we need more jabs to protect us and everyone else. They like us are just waiting and seeing. In the end vaccines are all we can rely on because it is the only intervention which is controllable to a meaningful degree.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

I would have one a week if it was what was needed to control this evil disease

As I understand it, the vax will provide resistance to the virus, such that it doesn't severely affect you; but it doesn't stop you catching or spreading the virus. 

That’s not quite what they said last week on the news. You can still catch I, that’s true, but after the jabs the virus doesn’t develop anywhere near as much so there’s less chance of passing it on. In the case of care workers, they’re in direct contact with the older people who are at the greatest risk of dying if they get infected so the care worker should have no say in the matter.

The situation with the front-line hospital workers is almost as bad but I can’t understand why they’ve been given until spring next year to get a jab. I’d sack them immediately rather than allow them to put people at risk for another five months while they look for a new job.

Bill 😊