Potato cakes

Stallard12

Asking for help.   Mom used to make great potato cakes, mashed potato in 6" rounds baked in the oven, great with butter hot or cold.  They were soft at first, but became pleasantly rubbery when cold - kinda like the ones you could buy in packets at the store, but better.  All I can find on line are the fancy ones with herbs etc cooked in a skillet.  I know they have flour in them, but do they have eggs, how much flour, temp for baking, how long?  Is there a good wife or mom out there, or a budding chef who has the recipe.  Ahh, potato cakes and trifle for Sunday tea!

• Upvote 1

• 2 cups mashed potatoes
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or as needed
  • Add all ingredients to list

Directions

1. Mix mashed potatoes, flour, onion, egg, black pepper, and salt together in a bowl until batter consistency.
  2. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Drop 4-inch circles of batter into hot oil. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter.

Oh and of course 

Birds Trifle Strawberry Serve 4-6 141G
  •  
  • Upvote 1

Had a look in my 35th edition Be -Ro book but they don't have a recipe.

Did find one site that sounds and looks like what you are looking for , similar method to what my mother and grandmoher used for leftover mashed spuds.

http://www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2011/11/homemade-potato-cakes.html

hope this works for you and bon apetite.

Thanks guys, Itnink that between us we have something I can use.  Appreciate the quantities and times Latchie, however I pass on the onions and bake in the oven instead of frying.  I guess that would make mine a health food !

Make my trifle from scratch in a big glass bowl, I do use a 1" thick layer of Bird's Custard between the jelly infused cake and the whipped cream.

Jamie Oliver is now giving cooking lessons on how to survive on what you have in your kitchen cupboards - his first recipes consisted of rice and pasta dishes, neither of which I like or stock; so perhaps this potato cake recipe is opportune, although I'd be interested in fish cakes too. 

Got to say they are delicious, course I still retain that very British taste for bland, stodgy food.   Simple too : boiled 350 grams spuds ( I guess you guys all understand that grams stuff), let them go very cool, mashed 'em, pinch salt and butter and about 1/2 cup of flour - mix flour in until mixture doesn't stick to sides of bowl.  Make into 6 to 8   5&3/8" round partties, x  5/16" thk, bake on a sheet at 400F for twenty minutes, flip halfway thru if you feel like it.   Smear with butter, hot or cold - the potato cakes not the butter!    Two for lunch, three followed by trifle for supper.