Do you remember..the mobile phone health scare?

Egbert

Do you remember the health warnings that accompanied the arrival of the mobile phone?  Cancer, loss of memory, etc etc.

Well just about everyone has one now and many people seem to spend their lives on them.  As far as I know, the official advice is still that young children should not use them. But no-one seems bothered about health risks any more.  Is any research being done to see if those early warnings were justified. I myself have noticed that people seem to be losing their memories at an earlier age than they used to, but this could be because so much information is available via the internet that no one needs to know anything any more!

Anyone got any views?

• Upvote 1

Handy they may be, but we managed OK before they were invented.  It seems to me that most people use them constantly for the most trivial reasons. The number of times I see couples in restaurants ignoring one another and spending their time on their phones!  People walk the streets oblivious to what is going on around them because they are texting.  The phones themselves are obviously very useful - it's the people  using them that are the problem!

the smartphone zombie apocalypse draws ever nearer.

it is so bad that some places have smartphone lanes on the pavement and one place has installed crossing lights on the floor so that you don't have to look up from your phone to cross the road safely.

The ferry tavern runs a quiz night that is for smartphone users.

• Haha 1

I have noticed that almost everyone I see walking has a mobile phone stuck to their ear. I sometimes wonder if there is really anyone on the other end of the phone. Being of a cynical disposition I wonder if having an imaginary phone call on the go might be seen as a security measure to deter muggers!

The users I really like are the ones who keep talking even when in tunnels after the rest of the passengers have given up, their phones must be very special!

Finally my advice on the health front is to get a femto cell installed at home. The power is very low but compared to the networks outside the home they make your phone see a comparatively high signal. The phone transmitting next to your head responds to the high signal from the femto by using much lower than normal power for its own transmissions which reduces the radiation absorbed in your head as heat, which is the only proven health hazard so far. The power put out by a femto is generally less than a wifi router and as you don't have it next to your body it causes no harm. The advice not to put transmitters near schools was almost certainly unhelpful and an example of the over application of the precautionary principle.

• Upvote 1