Long Lane Ind Est

Coffee

I am curious, anyone know the history of the industrial estate in Long Lane?

I know it is known as the Paint Works and been told that during the war it was a parachute factory.

But why is it there?

It must have been in the middle of no where when it was built as I am guessing most of the housing were built in the 40 and 50s.

So was it ever a paint works, when did it stop being a paint works.

Anyone know?

I can remember this as a paint works in the 1970's when I was at the College nextdoor, I think the paint factory closed in the late 1980's. I can picture the sign for the brand of paint but cannot think of the brandname, I know the background to the sign was a horrible brown colour and I think the logo was 2 letters :-0))

The site was originally Latchford Tannery I think but I am not certain when that closed , I suspect sometime after WW 2.

I seem to remember the tannery burning down in the late 60s. Incidentally ,quite a lot of people also knew it as Orford Tannery.

The one I knew as Orford Tannery was where the Tannery Court houses are now off the end of Statham Avenue, I can remember that one burning down then the houses were built on the site.

The one I knew as Orford Tannery was where the Tannery Court houses are now off the end of Statham Avenue, I can remember that one burning down then the houses were built on the site.

Mmmm! Could well be ,there has plenty of water gone under my bridge since then & more than one ripple of confusion. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Coffee, it was Mody & Co. Long Lane, Orford. 

Confirmed from Graces Guide - Entry for the 1957 British Industries Fair Guide - Mody and Company, Limited. (Tel.: Fair 650) Stand B,410 Long Lane, Orford, Warrington, Lancashire. Teleph.: Warrington 33131/4. Tel. Add.: " Lacquer, Warrington."-Chemical Resistant and Anti-corrosive Coatings, based on " Epikote " Resin for Product Finishing and Maintenance Painting. Stoving and Air Cured. All types Cellulose and Synthetic Air Drying and Stoving Industrial Finishes.

The name was given to me by Hugh Sloane and Mave Donlan members of the Warrington Memories (FB) site.

That is the name I was trying to think of, thanks for posting Algy

. Amazing how many Tanneries there were in Warrington, I was browsing Old Maps the other day and must have counted at least 25 , lots around the Victoria park / Wash lane area. Must be something to do with the good water supply in Warrington.

When I worked at Pierpoints we had our own bore hole to supply water.

Also pretty central for the supply of hides and easy access to foreign hides through Liverpool.

I suppose in the days before the internal combustion engine & synthetic materials leather was one of the most durable & usable natural materials around. Everything from horse harnesses to fire buckets & leather  traction belts for the factory machines of the industrial revolution.

Coffee, it was Mody & Co. Long Lane, Orford. 

Confirmed from Graces Guide - Entry for the 1957 British Industries Fair Guide - Mody and Company, Limited. (Tel.: Fair 650) Stand B,410 Long Lane, Orford, Warrington, Lancashire. Teleph.: Warrington 33131/4. Tel. Add.: " Lacquer, Warrington."-Chemical Resistant and Anti-corrosive Coatings, based on " Epikote " Resin for Product Finishing and Maintenance Painting. Stoving and Air Cured. All types Cellulose and Synthetic Air Drying and Stoving Industrial Finishes.

The name was given to me by Hugh Sloane and Mave Donlan members of the Warrington Memories (FB) site.

Thanks, wonder what happened to Modies, went bust I guess?

I suppose in the days before the internal combustion engine & synthetic materials leather was one of the most durable & usable natural materials around. Everything from horse harnesses to fire buckets & leather  traction belts for the factory machines of the industrial revolution.

Leather is still widly used, I wonder who does the tanning these days.