New College in Warrington

Coffee

OK, I am back ready to diagree with you all, don't worry not for long though!

Here is my latest view...

Read with interest that a new college is opening in Warrington next year at a cost of £10 million. While it is good news that a college is opening in Warrington with the emphesis on engineering at the same time Warrington college or Collegiate is cutting courses, making large staff cuts.

Would it not make sence to use the facilities that are already available?

PS, I don't have a Honda any more.

Forgive spelling mistakes, spell checker not working on this site again and I am off to bed!

Coffee, I didn't know Warrington Collegiate were cutting courses and staff.  Why's that then ?

I agree with you re the new £10 million one and when word first came out about it my first though was 'why when we already have one'.  

Yes I know that Asp and usually only day release.... but like Coffee already pointed out why not utilise or expand the existing Warrington Collegiate engineering courses and facilities rather than spending £10 on a new building which is totally separate ... which in turn will then draw students/apprentices away from the Collegiate leading to possible cuts and job losses too.

£10 seems like a bargain for a new college to be honest (sorry Dizzy, just pulling your leg). There is probably a very good reason for this such as the teaching profession and their unions only wanting the best for themselves their students.

Coffee, I didn't know Warrington Collegiate were cutting courses and staff.  Why's that then ?

I agree with you re the new £10 million one and when word first came out about it my first though was 'why when we already have one'.  

They had budget cuts last year and a lot of redudancies.

As for this years cuts is to do with standards

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CFIQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2%2Freports.ofsted.gov.uk%2Findex.php%3Fq%3Dfiledownloading%2F%26id%3D2435970%26type%3D1%26refer%3D0&ei=QO-OVeKcO_KS7AbNp5zwCQ&usg=AFQjCNHHvAuf0AmX1mnfXTAhgMnFv-7F2g&sig2=QyAiRCCN4UgkoP-LlHaiUw&bvm=bv.96783405,d.ZGU

Yes I know that Asp and usually only day release.... but like Coffee already pointed out why not utilise or expand the existing Warrington Collegiate engineering courses and facilities rather than spending £10 on a new building which is totally separate ... which in turn will then draw students/apprentices away from the Collegiate leading to possible cuts and job losses too.

It is not just a duplication of facilities but a new college would need support staff that are already in place in the current college. I realize some special facilities might be required but there is room at the current facility to build them, but lecture rooms should be available at the current college?

Isn't the new college going on land behind Tanners Lane ?

yes