News page comments

Dizzy

Didn't notice it Diz, but glad it's back!.

It gives the general public a chance to air their views and also when there are popular issues it directs them to continue discussion on the forum (which could do with livening up a little!).

I've noticed that too Fugs but things sometimes do seem to get added throughout the day but still not as much news as we used to get unless I'm just missing it all somehow.

So far today (now 12.17pm) there still only seems to be one news story and that's about the Rixton Carnival and was put on at 7am. 

Wonder why......although maybe Gary is still busy opening all his birthday pressies today.

Sha to the right of each news story there is a small grey speech bubble (it has a '0' next to it or if someone has left a comment already it will have a  '1' '2' etc depending on number of replies left.   You can either click on that to see or leave a reply or you can just scroll down the page of the news story you are reading and any replies and the option to leave one yourself should be there.  I do it that way.

The majority of so called web site updates usually result in something that's thought to be cool but infinitely less user friendly. 

Personally I preferred the news pages two versions back where the comments were immediately visible.

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

Not seen you on here for absolutely ages Bill, good to see you back :D 

Must admit I prefer seeing comments right under the new stories too so they are more obvious (I am a bit lazy that way though and expect things to be right in front of my eyes) but I guess it's not too much trouble to have to scroll down now I've got used to it or to cast my little eye towards the speech bubble icon 'number' that shows if there are already any comments. 

Guess we'll all get used to it and funny really cos we have all moaned a little in the past when things have changed and now some of us are saying we liked it more 'that' way :lol:  Poor Gary can't win :lol:

Thanks Diz I found the 'speech bubble' but would never have realised that was what it was if you hadn't told me.

Clicked on the bubble on the article about the Civic Society as it had a 1 next to it. Nothing happened, scrolled to the bottom of the article - still nothing. Tried a few times but never found anything!

The front page comments used to get more hits than the forum because they were so easy to see. If the comments are to be hidden I think you need something a bit more obvious to indicate that there is such a facility - such as a larger 'speech bubble' with the words 'comment on this article' or at least 'comments' in it. If regular readers hadn't realised what the 'bubble' was without you explaining on the forum how will other's ?

I think the old way of having the comments shown was far better, seeing straight away what comments people had written drew others into the conversation. I think there would be less people who would read an article and then think "Oh I'll just press this bubble to see what people think of this" than those who immediately see a comment that they agree or disagree with and decide to comment themselves

Sort of nice to feel missed lol. I've been looking in most days but not had too much free time due to pressure of work.

On top of all that, I'm moving to new offices and so many people have let me down, I've ended up doing most of the work myself and I'm not as fit as I used to be.

Back on the web site design, so many of the sites I use have had makeovers that were so naff as to make them almost unusable. If people had the choice of whether or not to "upgrade" to some of these newer versions rather than having it forced on them, then I reckon that most would opt to stay with what they're used to.

Thanks Diz I found the 'speech bubble' but would never have realised that was what it was if you hadn't told me.

Clicked on the bubble on the article about the Civic Society as it had a 1 next to it. Nothing happened, scrolled to the bottom of the article - still nothing. Tried a few times but never found anything!

The front page comments used to get more hits than the forum because they were so easy to see. If the comments are to be hidden I think you need something a bit more obvious to indicate that there is such a facility - such as a larger 'speech bubble' with the words 'comment on this article' or at least 'comments' in it. If regular readers hadn't realised what the 'bubble' was without you explaining on the forum how will other's ?

I think the old way of having the comments shown was far better, seeing straight away what comments people had written drew others into the conversation. I think there would be less people who would read an article and then think "Oh I'll just press this bubble to see what people think of this" than those who immediately see a comment that they agree or disagree with and decide to comment themselves

Sha - you are obviously not seeing things as they should be due to a browser issue - I logged on in a different browser the other day and the comment section wasn't there - I hit refresh and it appeared.

Sort of nice to feel missed lol. I've been looking in most days but not had too much free time due to pressure of work.

On top of all that, I'm moving to new offices and so many people have let me down, I've ended up doing most of the work myself and I'm not as fit as I used to be.

Back on the web site design, so many of the sites I use have had makeovers that were so naff as to make them almost unusable. If people had the choice of whether or not to "upgrade" to some of these newer versions rather than having it forced on them, then I reckon that most would opt to stay with what they're used to.

Change is always difficult - especially for older people - the older you get the more set in your ways you get. But we had no option but to change because the other site would have got kicked off all searches by google - who sadly control the web. I am sure people will get used to it with time and it is certainly a lot easier to view on mobile phones which is about 60 per cent of our traffic now - and I am pleased to say it is proving a hit with younger people - 50 per cent off traffic is now from 18-35 year-olds compared to 5 per cent from the over 65s - another interesting stat is the male- female ratio is 45 per cent women, 55 per cent men.

Good luck with the move! :)

• Upvote 1

I've noticed that too Fugs but things sometimes do seem to get added throughout the day but still not as much news as we used to get unless I'm just missing it all somehow.

So far today (now 12.17pm) there still only seems to be one news story and that's about the Rixton Carnival and was put on at 7am. 

Wonder why......although maybe Gary is still busy opening all his birthday pressies today.

Technical issues resulted in some stories not appearing as they should have done yesterday. Generally we still aim to have new stories on each money but will be updating site throughout the day as well if it is a story which may be appearing elsewhere as well :wink:

Sha - you are obviously not seeing things as they should be due to a browser issue - I logged on in a different browser the other day and the comment section wasn't there - I hit refresh and it appeared.

Maybe you should put something on the news page saying that you hope everyone is enjoying and getting to grips with the new news page layout and the new facility for comments and also tell people if they can't see the comments to REFRESH their browser  then :wink:   If people can't see any of the comments and if clicking the tiny speech bubble doesn't work for them either they wont realise that they are having a problem at all and wont even know there are any comments and will just presume it doesn't do anything for everyone. 

Sha, was yesterday the first time you've looked since the new website went live or have you been looking daily ?

Change is always difficult - especially for older people - the older you get the more set in your ways you get. But we had no option but to change because the other site would have got kicked off all searches by google - who sadly control the web. I am sure people will get used to it with time and it is certainly a lot easier to view on mobile phones which is about 60 per cent of our traffic now - and I am pleased to say it is proving a hit with younger people - 50 per cent off traffic is now from 18-35 year-olds compared to 5 per cent from the over 65s - another interesting stat is the male- female ratio is 45 per cent women, 55 per cent men.

Good luck with the move! :)

Crikey will google be kicking off all old websites from their searches ?  That's mine buggered then if they are :(

Great that more young people are now looking and can't wait for the females to take over :lol:  How do you know how old everyone who looks is and whether they are male or female?  I'm really 21 by the way...... and a man 8)

Hi Bill, you certainly have been missed - and it's great to have you back!

Sorry to hear you have been let down and under pressure. Maybe venting on here would help - we're in your corner!

Just make sure you don't overload yourself too much, it's never really productive because all you'll do is get yourself exhausted and then things will take longer than if you'd gone at a steadier pace in the first place.

Also, once you get run down it takes quite some time to recover. Accept a bit of a delay now to prevent months of working under par later.

Tip for how to prevent someone from stressing you.

Next time someone's messing you about just imagine how p***** off they'd be if you set the forum's 'Rottweilers' on them!

That might give you a smile at least!

Take care, and don't disappear again!

Thanks for your concern for my health and well being but there's really no need to worry. I've been busy for a while but have to take the work as it comes because it's a bit like the bus service. There's often some long hours but there's no real stress in the job and I enjoy getting out of the office occasionally for a bit of a change. It's much the same with me getting my hands dirty with the office move and as the saying goes "A change is as good as a rest" even though I ache in places I didn't think it was possible to!!

It was the move I was thinking about, I was imagining you lugging heavy crates about till 2am in the mornings in a rush to get to the new premises. Don't know why I thought that because you didn't say that did you?  Maybe it's me that needs a rest!   :oops:    :lol: