Wilderspool Crash- news page

Dizzy

Just read this on the front page news update from tonight about a car overturning on the approach to Brian Bevan Island this afternoon...... GOOD GRIEF that looks bad and I hope whoever was in the car is OK and that no pedestrians were injured too.

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/18041/1/Car-careers-out-of-control-on-Wilderspool-Causeway/Page1.html

It does look pretty nasty. But I wonder how it managed to get where it did. especially without taking out the fence as well.  there is damage to the fence but it looks as though it took out the two bollards and then slid on it's roof up the hill. I can only think that it was in the right hand lane and tried to get over to the left hand one to end up there.

Still no doubt we will get more on this at a later date.

It's more probable that the car was on the inside lane because for it to flip and end up that way round it has to be the drivers side wheel that went airbourne otherwise it would have rolled the opposite direction. If a car in the ouside lane moved across (which does tend to happen there) and there was contact between the front tyre of the flipped car and the rear tyre of the other, it can suddenly launch the car upwards even at relativly low speeds. You see this effect quite often in F1 racing when the cars with large exposed tyres make contact.

Bill :)

I said when they first put those railings in on the bridge that they were a danger; they eventually altered the kerbing slightly, but they are still too "end on" as you come round the bend and should be altered to follow the line of the kerbstones

So glad to hear nobody was seriously injured as it looked nasty.

I agree with you Baz about the railings/bollards and the kerb as we've always said it juts out too much there and is dangerous especially when lorries or busses are in the left hand lane as they have to pull over slightly to pass it which results in people in the right lane suddenly getting squeezed over if they are not local or aware.  It can be quite scarey and a bit of a squeeze at times.

And then you get to Brian Bevan Island where it's still a free for all with cars in the left lane ALWAYS suddenly cutting across to go down Chester Road.  People seem to be oblivious to which lane they SHOULD be in despite the lane markings and signs regardless of the road markings and signs so I don't know why they all still do it 

Infact that's one of the worst islands in all directions that I ever have the misfortune to use regularly.

I think a lot of people do know which lane they should be in but lane hop to save those vital three seconds in their day. That's certainly the case on Brian Bevan island. I've been there many times and you can usually spot the ones about to do it by the way they position themselves coming up to it. 

Not to mention the ones who indicate to turn right at the roundabout, stay in the right hand lane then go straight on. I don't think they do that on purpose, they do it because they haven't a clue.